New XF20 build plan questions

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Matthew Anderson
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

New XF20 build plan questions

Post by Matthew Anderson »

Jacques,

I just received a new set of plans for the XF20. The dates on the drawing are 9/18/20. I read where you completely redrew them. The plans packing list reads as such:
image.jpg
These are indeed the drawings I received however, this is what the packing list shows:
image.jpg
Here is one question, where are the plates for dimensions for the sole and sole construction in the new set of plans? B-223-8 is labeled Sole Expansion Plates on on packing list and Hull Plates on the other. I also cannot find the plates for the knees, I’m thinking they are in the D233-4 Expanded Plates Which is not included in the new set of plans.

If I am missing something I apologize. I have built a D15 and know that early questions generally resolve themselves but I can’t find these dimensions.
DF4B8401-066C-4CF1-B0BF-E33CD8E44D61.jpeg
You remember the boat. You came down to the Port Aransas Plywooden Boat Festival back in 2015.

My next question is on the shelf life of marine epoxy. I purchased the plans and the fiberglass and epoxy kit for the OD18 back in 2017. I guess iI could mix up a test batch. It still looks new.

I’ll be working on setting up the strong back and jig over the holiday. I’ll start up a build thread soon. I’ll try to keep my questions here. I’m really looking forward to having this project in the garage for the next couple of years, I already have a great fishing boat.

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New XF20 build plan questions

Post by Reid »

Matthew,

I will send you the most updated version we have to make sure you received all of the sheets when you purchased. I took a look at the plans a few minutes ago. The knees are located on page B233/7 "Stringers and molds". The soles is shown in the nesting (page B233/10). There are no dimensions for the sole in the plans. The best way to ensure an accurate fit for the sole is to cut it after the hull is assembled. The nesting will help you to plans on the plywood count.

Let me know if you have any more questions. Good luck on the build!
-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright