LB26 Questions from a newbie

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Fatih
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

LB26 Questions from a newbie

Post by Fatih »

Dear friends,
Just purchased plan of Lobster LB26 from boatbuılcentral.com.
I have some questionsif possible pls reply:
1.The Jig molds will be made from hardboard or OSB is that ok? What must be the thicness of the boards?
2.Plan suggest to plank as foam planking method and most popular material is H40 or H80 Foam.Is taht pvc foam?Any alternative can be used?
3.The motor can be used as I0 Stern or inboard with shaft?Which is better to use for this type boat?
Lastly any videos or builders who built this boat before?
Thx to all of you.
Regards
Fatih Yavas

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: LB26 Questions from a newbie

Post by fallguy1000 »

Fatih wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:19 am Dear friends,
1.The Jig molds will be made from hardboard or OSB is that ok? What must be the thicness of the boards?
2.Plan suggest to plank as foam planking method and most popular material is H40 or H80 Foam.Is taht pvc foam?Any alternative can be used?
3.The motor can be used as I0 Stern or inboard with shaft?Which is better to use for this type boat?
Thx to all of you.
Regards
Fatih Yavas
My opinion.

Osb can move if outside or if too thin. If you are outside building; use something like exterior ply 3/4" or if inside 3/4" material is more stable from movement. I used pressboard for my larger build.

Avoid 1/2" as it might move across the boats width.

What color do you plan to paint? Where will she sail? If you are in Dubai and going dark colors or in a warm place and going dark colors. You want corecell M and you will need to postcure prior to paint. Personally I would go corecell M in any hot climate.

This boat has some photos on this site. It was professionally built in Turkey and was stunning.

I'd build here with a diesel engine as an inboard. The foam and buoyancy foams make this boat unsinkable; so even a major problem won't render her unsafe.

I own the plans, but decided to build a catamaran instead.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fatih
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fatih »

fallguy1000 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:07 am
Thx to all of you.
Regards
Fatih Yavas
My opinion.

Osb can move if outside or if too thin. If you are outside building; use something like exterior ply 3/4" or if inside 3/4" material is more stable from movement. I used pressboard for my larger build.

What color do you plan to paint? Where will she sail? If you are in Dubai and going dark colors or in a warm place and going dark colors. You want corecell M and you will need to postcure prior to paint. Personally I would go corecell M in any hot climate.

This boat has some photos on this site. It was professionally built in Turkey and was stunning.

I'd build here with a diesel engine as an inboard. The foam and buoyancy foams make this boat unsinkable; so even a major problem won't render her unsafe.

Fatih
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fatih »

Fatih wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:31 am
fallguy1000 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:07 am
Thx to all of you.
Regards
Fatih Yavas
My opinion.

WhatsApp Image 2020-12-05 at 20.32.46.jpeg
Daer Fallguy1000,
Great thx for your advises and replies.
In fact the boat will be built inside and will swim at Turkey Eagean sea.
The color i think is the color which is shown as demo on boatbuildercentral webpage.
This will be my second built attempt as an ametour.First was a 5mt offshore fishing boat from Nathaniel marine and built as strip planking method.It was a big mistake for me because was so hard for first time builder.Here is a pictur of my cx457
Any comments and advises are welcome in my journey.Again very thx.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

How about finding out what foams are available in your area and then asking the designer if they will work. Same thing for the resin. And welcome to the fun :D

Fatih
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fatih »

Fuzz wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:55 pm How about finding out what foams are available in your area and then asking the designer if they will work. Same thing for the resin. And welcome to the fun :D
Dear Fuzz,
Thx for your response.I am in checking foams isue and seen that Dininycell etc are not so popular in our market.Is that possible to use XPS or EPS instead of it?
For resin,i have used local epoxy resin for my first project.I think it will work.Rest of them like branded as westsytems etc are extremely expensive.
Regards

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I do not know enough about the different foams to give you a good answer. I hope Jacques will see this tomorrow and give you the answer. If he does not answer do not be afraid to post the question again. Sometimes he misses a question. And right now he is healing up from a bad fall.

Fatih
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Fatih »

Fuzz wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:48 pm I do not know enough about the different foams to give you a good answer. I hope Jacques will see this tomorrow and give you the answer. If he does not answer do not be afraid to post the question again. Sometimes he misses a question. And right now he is healing up from a bad fall.
Ok very thx.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Xps and eps are NOT acceptable!!!

No. No. No. the boat will fall apart!!!

H40 is very light foam. I doubt the plans specify such light foam with low shear strength and lower compressive strength.

Corecell M80, divinycel H80, or other pvc/similar foams at 80kg/m^3 are acceptable. The transom might be specified higher; see the plans.