HMD 21 starting - help

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Doug N
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: HMD 21 starting - help

Post by Doug N »

Found a picture
100_0017.JPG

duysall83
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by duysall83 »

Doug N wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:30 am Found a picture100_0017.JPG
Thank you Doug. That's helpful.

duysall83
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by duysall83 »

Hello, have read tons of threads about grounding but still not confident. Here my fuel tank and fittings. Fill cap is metalic, fitting for vent is brass and there is a level sensor. What i understand that i should run a ground wire from each metal part that is touching fuel to negative busbar ( block which all negatives from users are connected). Is that correct?

If yes, seperate wirings are needed or one from fiill cap to level flange, from there to brass fitting and finally to negative busbar is ok?

Also ss clamps should i consider too?
Thanks for any input
IMG_20211126_210751.jpg

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

No you only need two ground wires. One running from the fill to the tank and one from the tank to your ground bar. The ideal place is under one of the screws of the fuel guage as it also goes to the console and you can run the two wires together. Use two different screws so you can tighten them down properly. The reason you only need the one for the tank is that every thing is grounded through the gas and the tank.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

duysall83
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by duysall83 »

TomW1 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:42 pm No you only need two ground wires. One running from the fill to the tank and one from the tank to your ground bar. The ideal place is under one of the screws of the fuel guage as it also goes to the console and you can run the two wires together. Use two different screws so you can tighten them down properly. The reason you only need the one for the tank is that every thing is grounded through the gas and the tank.

Tom
Thank you Tom, but still have question.

1. Tank is plastic. When you say "from fill to the tank"
you mean from fill to level gauge flange?
2. May i ignore that brass fitting? İts in vent port.
3. Ground bar = negative block?
4. What size cable is proper?
5. Last one. I didnt use any thread sealing agent for tank fittings since there is no pressure but i may be totally wrong. Should i use sth or ok as it is now?

Thanks

Duysal

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

duysall83 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:51 am
TomW1 wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:42 pm No you only need two ground wires. One running from the fill to the tank and one from the tank to your ground bar. The ideal place is under one of the screws of the fuel guage as it also goes to the console and you can run the two wires together. Use two different screws so you can tighten them down properly. The reason you only need the one for the tank is that every thing is grounded through the gas and the tank.

Tom
Thank you Tom, but still have question.

1. Tank is plastic. When you say "from fill to the tank"
you mean from fill to level gauge flange?
Yes

2. May i ignore that brass fitting? İts in vent port.
Yes. It might be impossible to ground it anyhow and the ground is for the fueling station and you to achieve grounding of all static before you pump.

3. Ground bar = negative block?
Yes, this ground must go all the way to your outboard motor negative battery. In a boat, all grounds must connect.

4. What size cable is proper?
#8-#10 wire is typical for grounding these types of things...usually green wire is used for earth grounds or bonding connections...I have a big spool of #10 green I am using for it all. No boat wires you install are ever under #16.

5. Last one. I didnt use any thread sealing agent for tank fittings since there is no pressure but i may be totally wrong. Should i use sth or ok as it is now?

Typically, two stainless clamps are used on each connection in the fuel system. I prefer they are turned the opposite way of each other if the fitting is accessible.

Thanks

Duysal
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Q 2 correct

Q2 yes the bronze fitting can be ignored

Q 3 Yes one and the same.

Q 4 Normally a 14 guage is used for the wire to the accessoriies and then 10 to the motor. If you have 10 use the appriate size fitting and crimp it to the 10GA.

Q 5 Always use a coating on the fittings, gas has a notorios way to find its way out of any unsealed cracks.

We;; I hope that helps. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

If you had threaded fittings into the tank, then you need to use fuel resistant tfe.

I missed this because I thought you meant the clamps.

Also, I air tested my tank and fittings to 2 psi pressure. The test is hard to do, but a good idea. Plug the ends of the hoses at the supply, fill, vent and pressure the tank through a shrader in the supply..

ANTI-SEIZE TECHNOLOGY 46330 Yellow PTFE Poly-Temp Extra Heavy Duty Gas Line Tape, 260" Length, 0.5" Width (Pack of 5) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LX5ESYU/re ... UTF8&psc=1
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

duysall83
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by duysall83 »

Thank you Tom and Dan. Now all clear.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Dan thanks for the help on the tape reference just as a reminder to him he also needs to use it on all the fittings including the bronze one that screw into the tank. The fuel guage should have a gasket on it.

Tom