aluminum tank thread tape

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

aluminum tank thread tape

Post by VT_Jeff »

I sourced aluminum hose fittings for my aluminum tank and am wondering what to use for tape/gunk to seal the NPT threads, the internet in general doesn't seem to agree.
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

bklake
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: aluminum tank thread tape

Post by bklake »

I would not use tape. It can break off or flake off and get into the fuel system.

I used a Permatex paste in the past. Specifically for gasoline. I can't find it right now but I know it is in my tool box somewhere. It's been almost ten years since I last used it and have not needed it again. I share your frustration on what is the right product for this. It was difficult to come up with the right product when I needed it.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

bklake wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:59 pm I would not use tape. It can break off or flake off and get into the fuel system.

I used a Permatex paste in the past. Specifically for gasoline. I can't find it right now but I know it is in my tool box somewhere. It's been almost ten years since I last used it and have not needed it again. I share your frustration on what is the right product for this. It was difficult to come up with the right product when I needed it.
Must be this stuff, I'll go with that, appreciate it!

https://www.permatex.com/products/threa ... with-ptfe/
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

If you do use tape use the yellow tape for gasoline and propane. You would have to be careful and be neat, but I don't think it's that hard to do without a problem.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

joe2700 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:25 am If you do use tape use the yellow tape for gasoline and propane. You would have to be careful and be neat, but I don't think it's that hard to do without a problem.
Thanks Joe. I'm going to try the permatex goop with PTFE, just ordered a 1oz tube from the AutoFac(Amazon).

For whatever reason it was a little tough to hunt down so here's a link if anyone needs it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B ... UTF8&psc=1

bklake
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bklake »

I couldn't find my tube of the stuff I used but I'm pretty sure it was LOCTITE 567. It was one of the very few I could find that listed compatibility with gasoline.

Could have been Loctite 565 also.

cvincent
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cvincent »

I used permatex aviation form a gasket.
Completed D15, Completed PH18

Rover1
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rover1 »

Hi All,
in a similar vein:
What do people use for other fittings? Through Hull to hand valve to what ever fitting follows. Non-metal hitec plastics with straight threads?
Rover1

joe2700
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by joe2700 »

Rover1 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:36 pm Hi All,
in a similar vein:
What do people use for other fittings? Through Hull to hand valve to what ever fitting follows. Non-metal hitec plastics with straight threads?
Rover1
If you are talking about trudesign fittings then they list a number of options, I used 5200. See the thread sealing section: https://trudesignplastics-com.s3.amazon ... b07e9e.pdf

bklake
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by bklake »

cvincent wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:18 pm I used permatex aviation form a gasket.
That is usually my go to sealer. Alcohol is the solvent for this. With the 10% alcohol in fuel now, I'm not sure it is the right product.