Gf16 vs sc16 questions

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
BayouMedic
New Poster
New Poster

Gf16 vs sc16 questions

Post by BayouMedic »

Just curious, do I need A flat floor and garage to build the sc16? I’m trying to decide between this and a gf16. I’ll be a first time builder and it seems the gf16 would be easiest to build. I live In New Orleans and I feel Like the weather is good enough I could Build either one. Is the sc16 or gf16 self bailing? Could a sole be built so that it is self bailing?

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Gf16 vs sc16 questions

Post by Fuzz »

You need a level and square strongback to build off of but the floor or yard does not matter. Stakes in the yard would work for your location. As for self bailing you can make all of them self bailing but on some you have to raise the deck too much for it to be the best choice.

cape man

Post by cape man »

Search here for Coach's SC 16. Probably the finest one built and self bailing.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by piperdown »

There is no sole on the GF 16 and I don't think it's one of JM's designs for self bailing. You'd have to build some grid structure to support the sole and that adds a lot of weight. The GF16 does not have stringers.
I'm still in the process of building my GF16.
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

BayouMedic wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:46 pm Just curious, do I need A flat floor and garage to build the sc16? I’m trying to decide between this and a gf16. I’ll be a first time builder and it seems the gf16 would be easiest to build. I live In New Orleans and I feel Like the weather is good enough I could Build either one. Is the sc16 or gf16 self bailing? Could a sole be built so that it is self bailing?
Neither the GF16 or the SC16 is self bailing. You put plugs in the transom so water doesn't come in while underway and remove them when you have them on your trailer. This is normal for small boats like these two. To build a sole high to be self bailing would make the free board to small and make the boat dangerous and add to much weight.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

cape man

Post by cape man »

You can customize the boat anyway you like, including adding a self bailing sole, as Coach did on his SC 16. You will need to measure and cut stringers and bulkheads to support it that are not included in the plans. There are lots of boats here with no free board inside. Yes, you need to be careful to not fall out, but an SC16 or GF16 with a sole above the waterline is doable. No more dangerous than the SK14, or the FS18, or many other boats built here.

I built the SC16 to be as light as possible to put it on a rack, so no self bailing sole. Went against all the design criteria the opposite way that you are considering losing the decks and bench seat.

Either boat would be even safer if you filled everything below the deck with floatation foam. You will add weight, but even the study plans give you lbs per inch of the waterline.

Danger is in the hands of the skipper.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman