C-17 Stitching

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: C-17 Stitching

Post by jacquesmm »

Onewaytraffic is correct, it does not matter there. It's the stern part that is important.
Tape and fiberglass and if it still there, fill it if you want. Don't do it now, do it after the fiberglass.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Frame C is at the back of the cabin, about where you are supposed to stand. The planing surface will be mostly stern of there. Still I'd try and take it out now, but ensure that it doesn't cause issues elsewhere when you do. Here's a quote from the FS17 plans which describe it well (emphasis mine):

Since this is a planing boat, it is important to have a straight running surface. The rear part of the
bottom must be straight from the mid seat to the transom. Straight means that a straight edge
dropped lengthwise on the bottom should not show a gap of more than ¼", either convex or
concave. A convex bottom in profile is said to have rocker, a convex one is hogged or has hook

Note how for the FS17 1/4" is considered ok, though I would not accept 1/4" for a boat I'm building. The FS17 and C17 are moderate speed boats.

Edit: I now see the designer posted before me.

rezab
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by rezab »

I've glued the bottom and lower side panels on and will spend today cleaning up all the seams. I am wondering what the next step is - should I get started taping the seams, or should I attach the upper side panels first?

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

rezab wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:41 am I've glued the bottom and lower side panels on and will spend today cleaning up all the seams. I am wondering what the next step is - should I get started taping the seams, or should I attach the upper side panels first?
I haven't built s&g ply, but I'd get the boat all stitched n bonded jist for work flow.

All stitches.
All seams bonded.
All seams taped.

Again for work flow. Wetting tapes all same time, etc.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

rezab
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by rezab »

fallguy1000 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:39 pm I haven't built s&g ply, but I'd get the boat all stitched n bonded jist for work flow.

All stitches.
All seams bonded.
All seams taped.

Again for work flow. Wetting tapes all same time, etc.
Yeah, ok that's what I was thinking, and plans seem to suggest doing that way as well. Only reason I ask is that I was following David516's build and he seems to first tape the seams, then attach the upper side panel, and so I was wondering if there was a reason to do it that way.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

I taped and glassed and put an initial fill coat on before the upper ( lower when on jig) side panel. Reason why:

Easier to get to the middle keel for glassing.

The boat takes shape so the lower panel will fair to it.

Any drips of epoxy down the sides will be hidden by the overlap.

I really don’t think that little things like this matter. Do what works for your situation. That’s what I did.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Thanks Onewaytraffic: either sequence is good. One method makes the it easier to reach the fiberglass seam but the other helps with the side fairing.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

rezab
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by rezab »

So I've decided to go the route of putting the side panels on first, partly because I don't really have a better place store them other than on the boat. I've just dry fit the panels, and one side looks good, but the other is giving me some trouble.
IMG_0183.JPG
For one thing, it seems to want to sit higher up than the other panel, and it doesn't seem to want to sit flush with the other side panel, and there is a pretty big gap between the two.
IMG_0182.JPG
IMG_0181.JPG
Any tips on how to get the panels to sit nicely?

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

This happens fairly often. Moving the lower panels,now, around is almost always the cure. Gap too big at the bow then you need to move the panel closer to the boat bottom. Also you might need to tilt the panel fore and aft some.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I think Fuzz is better suited to answer. I have little to no experience with s&g. I know boats okay. Watched one done; never did one. I will say your pics are a little too close up for me to make sense of them.

It looks like you are overlapping and I didn't expect that. Is there an overlap on the c17?

I am sort of a fan of the c series; so lurking a bit.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495