Attaching sides on XF20

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Yesyoucan4
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Attaching sides on XF20

Post by Yesyoucan4 »

When stitching sides on XF20 using CNC kit do in place under the bottom. If I stitch on the outer edge of bottom there will be a lot to sand to make round edge. I’m not sure there is enough overlap to stitch under the side. Thoughts please

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Attaching sides on XF20

Post by BrianC »

You want the panels to line up something like this:
panel.jpg
You want a small gap so that the epoxy glue (orange in the above image) is what bridges between the panels. Sometimes adding a short section of small diameter PVC pipe on the back side of each zip tie helps line everything up.

Be sure to zip it up loose at first. Don't tighten the zip ties until they are all in place, then go around tightening them down in several steps.

After the glue sets, you can remove the zip ties and then round the edges (red dotted line above) so that the fiberglass tape easily makes the bend.
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

Yesyoucan4
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Yesyoucan4 »

Thanks. Makes perfect sense. These little details are hard to find in the notes and building plans.

GuyP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by GuyP »

I used nails and small strips of wood on my FS19 build. Just make sure you don’t get any glue on the wood strips. This was my first stitch and glue but as I understand it a narrow gap is fine. Just don’t have your panels touching each other.
Attachments
F1491E2F-FE4E-4C6D-8592-B9C8775F18A1.jpeg
36CF6324-CE29-42F8-8F5B-AB700682BE13.jpeg
BEFE6079-EEBF-49E6-AD7E-2F1EF42A4786.jpeg