looking for a little help

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
nightcrawler
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

looking for a little help

Post by nightcrawler »

So wife and i just put a deposit down on a place in Punta Gorda on alligator creek
.That being said i have a xf22 started, jig ,moulds,stringers and transoms done. I've started second guessing myself as to if this is the right boat for Charlotte Harbor. Anyone on here have experience on that water? Any suggestions as to what might be a better boat for that area?
Thank in advance

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: looking for a little help

Post by fallguy1000 »

I was there last January in Cape Coral.

The area is really rather large. Getting out into the gulf requires a pretty big rig. I doubt you will ever dislike the xf22. But you may want a boat that offers you the ability to go to the Gulf waters firther out and feel safe and even have a head onboard.

We drove by water from Cape Coral to Cayo Costs and it took several hours of driving full out round trip in a 24' Hurricane with 7 onboard about 36mph top. It will be similar for you. And that is the edge of the gulf only.

Speed helps, but the trip would be more fun if you had auto pilot and a head onboard. Everything there is really spread out and the miles tick off slowly. Sorry to repeat myself, but the autopilot can't be used without watching a lot for other boats and once you get to the gulf it is a long way to fishing deeper water I'm told.

So, a head, autopilot, and a place to get out of the sun, and gulf capable would be added to a list for a perfect boat. The cs25 series would be a bit better. It would even afford sleeping in say at Cayo Costa overnite and then heading to the Gulf next morning, etc.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

I think you'll want to backup and punt. The xf22's flat bottom will beat the kidneys out of you on Charlotte Harbor. It's to large a body of water, with no wind shelter, so it can get choppy often. If you stay in the creeks and rivers then the xf might be ok, but in that area I think you'll want to explore more. There's no need to go anywhere near the gulf, as there is plenty of inshore and rivers to explore with great fishing. From the Harbor, to Peace and Myakka river, lemon Bay..... there's years worth of exploring in that area.

All that said, I would look at a boat with relatively shallow draft, but some v in the hull to smooth things out. Maybe something like an FS19 or GP21?

PS. In the winter head a few miles up the peace river for some camping and fossil hunting fun.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe, and an FS17.

cape man

Post by cape man »

If you chose the XF22 for shallow water fishing/boating, you will find a LOT of it in Charlotte Harbor. From Alligator Creek south to Matlacha Pass is some gorgeous water on the east side, and the no wake zones don't start until you get down to the pass. If you want to fish the gulf, you'll want something else. There's a marina on the creek that you should call and ask them your question.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

silentneko wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:50 am I think you'll want to backup and punt. The xf22's flat bottom will beat the kidneys out of you on Charlotte Harbor. It's to large a body of water, with no wind shelter, so it can get choppy often. If you stay in the creeks and rivers then the xf might be ok, but in that area I think you'll want to explore more. There's no need to go anywhere near the gulf, as there is plenty of inshore and rivers to explore with great fishing. From the Harbor, to Peace and Myakka river, lemon Bay..... there's years worth of exploring in that area.

All that said, I would look at a boat with relatively shallow draft, but some v in the hull to smooth things out. Maybe something like an FS19 or GP21?

PS. In the winter head a few miles up the peace river for some camping and fossil hunting fun.
The red tide destroyed a lot of that fishery. I am not sure if it affected that area specifically, but did further south. Was told it takes years to come back.

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

I have property in East Englewood now and a few friends there, and Port Charlotte. Fishing has been pretty good there lately. Lemon bay I think got hit harder, but seems to be recovering very well. Further south was a mess when we were in Marco Island, but south of that in the Ten Thousand Islands is doing great fishing wise. I'm not sure about in between by Sanibel and such, I know the red tide was thick there at one point when we tried to go.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe, and an FS17.

nightcrawler
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by nightcrawler »

I did notice the red tide is back in the south end of pine island and on the beaches gulf side of caya costa. At this point i think i will keep plugging on the xf22. Wife says if i doesn't work out sell it. No wonder i've been married to her 43 years!!

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Good luck. Post build pics. We love em. And the boat is pretty popular.

nightcrawler
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by nightcrawler »

I'll try to post picts but could not seem to off my android phone last i tried. while i can build a boat when it comes to technology i am severely handicapped

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

nightcrawler wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:14 am I'll try to post picts but could not seem to off my android phone last i tried. while i can build a boat when it comes to technology i am severely handicapped
PM Jaysen and get him to walk you through it. The kid is pretty handy..................sometimes :lol: :lol: