XF20 Tunnel

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Yesyoucan4
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

XF20 Tunnel

Post by Yesyoucan4 »

I see differing opinions of when to cut in and tab the tunnel. Some say after entire bottom is glassed and some say after all seams are taped.
Other question is my strong back is too high for me to reach across bottom to glass it. Thinking I could remove the molds and lower down onto the frame of the strong back. Opinions appreciated

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: XF20 Tunnel

Post by jacquesmm »

About the tunnel: I like to build the hull in one piece, without the tunnel cut and build the tunnel as separate box but with just minimal taping. Then cut the tunnel opening and graft the tunnel to the hull with all the glass layers specified on the plans.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

Re the lower the boat to the frame thing: I avoided that by just getting a couple of 8' 2 x 8 planks and setting them up a foot or so on both sides of the boat. I had the planks so it was easier.

Dougster

Matthew Anderson
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Matthew Anderson »

What height did you set your strong back? I’m building a rolling strong back for my build. I wanted to keep it short enough for faring the bottom at the most comfortable height.

MrPaul
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by MrPaul »

I made mine about 4 feet high and just had to climb up on it to glass and fair. Buy kneepads...they're a lifesaver. You have to build it high enough to make sure the bow clears. I think my bow was about 10 inches off the ground.

Yesyoucan4
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Yesyoucan4 »

I built the strong back about thigh high then attached molds. Boat is so wide that it is very difficult to reach across. I may come up with a way to support the strong back and shorten the legs. Guess I could use maybe four jacks

Matthew Anderson
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Matthew Anderson »

image.jpg
I got my rolling dolly built. I’m going to install 2 2X6’s as my strong back on top of this. This puts the top of the strong back at about 16” off the floor. Most frames are about 24” tall that will put the bottom of the boat at 40” off the floor. I’m going to be crawling all over this thing but it’s about as low as I could make it so that helps.