1st DE23 in CZ

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
ficcus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

1st DE23 in CZ

Post by ficcus »

Hello from Czech Republic.
I´m ficcus and I´m preparing my new project after I sold my small sailboat. I decided for DE23. I have plans from Jacques and I have a few questions before ordering the material.

1 – the boat will predominantly move in inlands water – rivers, water canals, lakes. There may be some hard contact situations with wood in the water, stones on the riverbed and with other boats in lock. Should I add 1 layer of biaxial tape for all the seams of hull + 1 layer of woven over everything on the hull (outside + inside)?

2 – for frames B, C, D and E are shown 2nd layers of plywood in the project (Frames details). But in the "Nesting" plan for frames C, D and E the 2nd layers aren´t shown. I suppose that I have to make it from 2 layers.

3 – When the long fuel tank interrupts frame F and G between bottom and sole, do I must increase glass fibers there? Or should I add next very low frames under fuel tank?

4 – Transom is made from 3 layers of 13 milimeters plywood (= 39 mm). In Europe is common 12 millimeters thickness. Can I use it? 3 x 12 = 36 mm and should I add 2 layers of fiber on the transom or should I prefer to use 4 x 10 millimeters for 40 mm transom?

Could you give me an advice please?
That´s all for now and excuse my English please.

piperdown
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: 1st DE23 in CZ

Post by piperdown »

Welcome to the Forums!

I can't answer your question but here's a build thread that might help.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64625&hilit=DE23
Eric (aka, piperdown)

"Give an Irishman lager for a month and he's a dead man. An Irishman's stomach is lined with copper, and the beer corrodes it. But whiskey polishes the copper and is the saving of him." --> Mark Twain

ficcus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ficcus »

Hi piperdown, thank you. I read Sorin´s thread and other threads from this community. But I´m not see this informations.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Your English is more than sufficient. It is better than many native English speakers ;)

4. Use 4x10mm. Make sure you adequately cover the transom layers with epoxy (full surface with no additives, adequate glue, even clamping preasure).

Keep posting questions. Folks here are quick to proved answers.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

ficcus wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:07 am Hello from Czech Republic.
I´m ficcus and I´m preparing my new project after I sold my small sailboat. I decided for DE23. I have plans from Jacques and I have a few questions before ordering the material.

1 – the boat will predominantly move in inlands water – rivers, water canals, lakes. There may be some hard contact situations with wood in the water, stones on the riverbed and with other boats in lock. Should I add 1 layer of biaxial tape for all the seams of hull + 1 layer of woven over everything on the hull (outside + inside)?

It depends, what is the specified tape? I like the idea of adding tape to the keel, but not the chines. If you add tape to both; you are going to need to build up lots more fairing. Also, if you plan to beach her, then you may want to add a sacrificial skid.

2 – for frames B, C, D and E are shown 2nd layers of plywood in the project (Frames details). But in the "Nesting" plan for frames C, D and E the 2nd layers aren´t shown. I suppose that I have to make it from 2 layers.

This is a question for the designer or another de23 builder. Oftentimes, some bulkheads are made thicker to allow for cutaways. Not sure

3 – When the long fuel tank interrupts frame F and G between bottom and sole, do I must increase glass fibers there? Or should I add next very low frames under fuel tank?

It should be in the notes or plans.

4 – Transom is made from 3 layers of 13 milimeters plywood (= 39 mm). In Europe is common 12 millimeters thickness. Can I use it? 3 x 12 = 36 mm and should I add 2 layers of fiber on the transom or should I prefer to use 4 x 10 millimeters for 40 mm transom?

Well, it would be wrong for me to tell you to drop below the specified transom. But, getting the transom built well is much more important as Jaysen says. Typically, you will 0.5mm vee trowel thickened resins on each side of the board. This would give you about a 1 mm glue joint which is ideal. It is likely better to build from fewer laminations as getting all that troweling and many batches of epoxy made might cause trouble time wise to get under vac or clamped. I woukd recommend you ask the designer, but as a builder I would prefer 3x12 mm for a final 38mm before glass which is one less joint. I can warn you that a large transom and lots of epoxy with thickeners is very time consuming and might even be a two day process. You want to have locating pins ready as well. Precoating is also important here and done on all bonding sides a day before the laminating. I don't believe 10mm ply is actually 10mm is it? I thought it was 9 only. 4x9=36-so double check thet as well if you go that route because those 4 are the same then as 3x12..

Could you give me an advice please?
That´s all for now and excuse my English please.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

ficcus wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:07 am

Yes, at least outside.

All frames and bulkheads are made from one layer only.

Yes to one extra layer of fiberglass.

12 mm is fine. I wonder why the text says 13, probably some CAD software rounding up. I built boats in Europe and know that there is no 13 mm ply. Use 12 mm please.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

ficcus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ficcus »

Thanks for all!

@Jacques
In plans are shown 2 layers for all the cabin frames - That is why I asked.

13 mm plywood for transom and sole is written - That is why I asked:-)

Have a nice day

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Yes, the upper part uses two layers. Two layers are used only for the roof beams and cabin sides frames.
It's a matter of names but you are correct: we use two layers there. The wide parts are made from one layer, the roof beams from 2 layers just at my drawing shows.

About the 13 mm note: use 12 mm, it is fine.

ficcus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ficcus »

Hello to all, in bill of materials for DE23 are Fiberglass (totals):

Biaxial fabric 77 yards / 69 m - is it in square area? Thus 69 m2? Is it also for the pilothouse?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

It is in linear yards or linear meters. 77 yards or 69 meters long.
The standard roll in the US and Europe is 50" wide = 125 cm.
You can calculate the area but that would give bad results: we calculate how much you will use by measuring the glass unrolled (virtually) over the panels.
The pilothouse is not included, we calculate based on our specifications. see your notes.
If you plan to glass the pilothouse or add a layer to the bottom, look at at the nesting and see the layout on the plywood. A plywood sheet is the same width than a fiberglass roll. Count the panels to add and you have your customized BOM.
Fiberglass is cheap (compared to plywood and resin), buy a little too much.