OD16 - How do you glue the hull panel to the stringers when the decking (sole) is already in place?

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: OD16 - How do you glue the hull panel to the stringers when the decking (sole) is already in place?

Post by Fuzz »

I do not have the OD-16 plans so I am wondering if it is built a lot different than the OD-18?

cape man

Re: OD16 - How do you glue the hull panel to the stringers when the decking (sole) is already in place?

Post by cape man »

On the OD18 The sole goes down after the stringers, bulkheads, and sides. I don't have the build notes for the OD16 but believe it is the same.

Build the Bottom, stringers, install forms, attach sides, rubrails, and flip. Glass outside, fair, and paint the bottom. Flip again, remove forms, install bulkheads. Run any below deck chase tubes. Add cleats to top of stringers and bulkheads as well as along the sides. Add foam flotation. Glue the sole down.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

VT_Jeff wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:09 pm
jacquesmm wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:07 pm The sole is installed that same way in most boats.
Before the sides?

Just to add to what has been written, since the OD series have a flat and thicker plywood bottom you can use that as a 'building jig', building the boat bottom up. The stringers have a slight curve near the front; you can screw. clamp or weight the bottom to them to take the shape. Then some frames (in the HD19 anyway), then chine panels, then frames to support the sides and sole. The outside is glassed nearer the end of the construction. In the HD19 plans the sequence is outlined in detail with drawings for each step.

I'm sure that these boats could be built on a jig, but for a flat bottom why bother. Not going to get a better flat than a garage floor.

Palm Bay Chuck
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Palm Bay Chuck »

VT_Jeff wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:42 pm I'm purely a by-stander here but I am curious why that boat is done like that. Is there something related to the particulars of that design that make that build method more appealing than the standard "stitch panels on a jig, glass, fair, flip" method?
With this boat, I think it's because of the flat bottom. There is no 'V', so this would be the only way to do it.

I've seen many recommendations here which make perfect sense to me, so I'm good now. Being new to this, I thought the finely done filleting of the sole to the strings was more important than it actually is. In reality, that space isn't visible, so it doesn't need to be pretty. A rough, but strong glue is sufficient. Thus the 'apply the glue liberally and slap the sole down' approach is fine.