OD16 - How do you glue the hull panel to the stringers when the decking (sole) is already in place?

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Palm Bay Chuck
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

OD16 - How do you glue the hull panel to the stringers when the decking (sole) is already in place?

Post by Palm Bay Chuck »

When building the OD16, you must build the bottom first. Sole to strings to hull. But when you get the stringer space enclosed by the hull panel, how do you work with the epoxy glue? This may be a dumb question, but last night I layed in bed for hours trying to figure this one out and the only conclusion I could come to was to put each hull piece on one at a time and reach up in the 2X6 spaces to glue, building out the hull bottom one panel piece at a time.

What am I missing?

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: OD16 - How do you glue the hull panel to the stringers when the decking (sole) is already in place?

Post by pee wee »

How is that problem/solution different from other designs when gluing down the sole?
Hank

Palm Bay Chuck
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: OD16 - How do you glue the hull panel to the stringers when the decking (sole) is already in place?

Post by Palm Bay Chuck »

pee wee wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:51 am How is that problem/solution different from other designs when gluing down the sole?
Well, I guess it's not any different. I've only just thought about it as I go through the steps mentally. It seems to me that one side can only be attached with fasteners except on the edges. This is probably a very basic problem, I've just never thought of it. In the case of this design, it is the hull panels that are installed AFTER the sole, so they would have to be attached with fasteners and it's really just the glass that holes everything together.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

The study plans do say that it's built right side up. There is a link to some building notes but it's a dead link. The existing OD16 build threads are not super-useful, lot of missing photos. Given all that, can you share a little of the notes related to the sole and stringers going on before the sides? Something seems fishy about that to me.

From the study plans:

"The prototype was built by a first time builder in less than 100 hours, most of that time being spent arguing with the designer about building methods . . ."

That is priceless!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

From an OD6 build thread:

"Update on Progress: I received my epoxy in the mail wednesday so I began by gluing on the stringers and today I coated the sole & stringers and glued the butt blocks."

This...

" I began by gluing on the stringers"

...seems weird.

but apparently it's the method for that boat.

Chuck, your question seems quite valid. Get used to the sleepless nights!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

BWhalen
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by BWhalen »

The build method for the OD16 is a little different than the other plans on here. Coat the topside of the bottom panel with epoxy. Glue the stingers to the bottom panel. Glue in your bracing between the stingers. Coat the underside of the sole with epoxy. When you're ready add a thick layer of epoxy/wood flour glue to the tops of the stingers and cross bracing and set the sole down on top. Weight it down to get proper contact between the sole and the stringers. Your going to want at least on other person to help you set the sole on the stringers. You won't need any fasteners when attaching the hull panels other than temporary bracing possibly while the epoxy is curing. Take it one step at a time and it will come together.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I don't put that sole down in one piece but in two joined by a butt block.
Do a dry fit.
Drop glue on the stringers, put the first piece down. Glue an 8" butt block under the edge of the first piece, between the stringers, with temporary screws. Put glue on the stringers and on the butt block, drop the 2nd piece on it, pull the butt block together with temporary screws.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

BWhalen wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:57 pm The build method for the OD16 is a little different than the other plans on here. Coat the topside of the bottom panel with epoxy. Glue the stingers to the bottom panel. Glue in your bracing between the stingers. Coat the underside of the sole with epoxy. When you're ready add a thick layer of epoxy/wood flour glue to the tops of the stingers and cross bracing and set the sole down on top. Weight it down to get proper contact between the sole and the stringers. Your going to want at least on other person to help you set the sole on the stringers. You won't need any fasteners when attaching the hull panels other than temporary bracing possibly while the epoxy is curing. Take it one step at a time and it will come together.
I'm purely a by-stander here but I am curious why that boat is done like that. Is there something related to the particulars of that design that make that build method more appealing than the standard "stitch panels on a jig, glass, fair, flip" method?

BTW, your boat is gorgeous, did you ever start another?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

The sole is installed that same way in most boats.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

jacquesmm wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:07 pm The sole is installed that same way in most boats.
Before the sides?