Gulfstream 28X Reduced

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
TomTom
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Gulfstream 28X Reduced

Post by TomTom »

Chessie - I don’t know if you saw this, but I have grilled Jacques pretty hard on the comparisons between the Panga 25 and the GS28 in this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=60954

I also went down the same rabbit hole with trying to essentially change the shape of the Panga - as I initially didn’t love the lines. But ... it was designed to be a classic Panga shape and also to maximise the amount of boat you get from a certain amount of plywood. And it has grown on me hugely. I can see why these questions must wear a designer out!

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=60937

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=60984&p=373447#p373447

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=58995

Have you thought of taking a trip to go and see one that has already been built? The cost of the ticket would be well worth it when weighed against the cost of building a boat you don’t like! Or the savings on building a Panga vs GS28!

Jacques must have his reasons why you can’t/ shouldn’t scale a GS28 down, but in practical terms alone if you scale it down, you will loose just as much in wasted material and head scratching as you will gain in time saved fairing a slightly smaller boat. Fallguy has a point about maybe the wood won’t take such a tight bend.

So I don’t know why you would want to shorten it unless it must fit in a certain length shed or something like that. If I had to do it, I would scale in all directions - I know Fallguy likes wider boats - which is why he is building a catamaran 😂😂 - but on a serious note, if you start messing with the length to beam ratio you start really deviating from what the boat was designed to do in the first place.

Ultimately, you have picked a Panga or the GS28 for their efficiency and sea-keeping at many speeds, which is a product of their long narrow shape. If you start tweaking the length to beam ratio you may well end up with a hull that doesn’t do what it was designed to do, or what attracted you to it in the first place.

The GS28 is a more complex build, with 4 stringers vs 2 and quite a lot more glassing etc. It is also just plain much bigger. So more fairing etc. And the Panga was designed specifically to go together fast. So yes - it will take longer.

I know from personal experience that the GS28 is a fantastic sea-boat, but it’s big for a bay boat.

I also doubt that if you watch the weather you would feel any less safe at sea in a Panga 25 than the GS28.

By the same token if you built a Panga 25, would you always wish you had a GS28?

For me - with hindsight - I suspect if I had build a PG 25 as my first build it would have done everything I have asked of my OD18 and C19 - but better for my purposes.
Last edited by TomTom on Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

TomTom-there is no like button here, but a great post..
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Chessie
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Chessie »

TomTom

Actually yes I did see that post. As I said, I’ve done alot of reading and the search functions on this site are excellent.

As you mention, if you scale the PG25 up by 10% you get the overall dimensions of the GS28 and vice versa when you scale the GS28 down. This of course is when you scale both length and width as generally prescribed. Although there is the thread that seems to allow the GS to come down by length only.

The main reason for the scale down would be to provide the “bigger” boat in the same dimensions. Similar to building a 2 story house in the footprint of a single story. A 28’ is more than I really want in the end especially in that width, almost too big. Kind of the reverse of “2footitis”.

Your explanations on build difference make sense and I guess the hull difference is that dramatic.

All things considered the PG25 will do what I need, most of what I want and based on all of the reading, is a very capable and stable hull.

Chris
Chris in Maryland