Raised sole on xf20

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Raised sole on xf20

Post by TomW1 »

Matthew it is not much. Each 2 gallon kit expands into 480 cubic feet. So most liquids weigh 6-10lbs a gallon. But wait for Joel to answer you to be sure as I may be missing something. It is not very well explained on the web site, wish they would say what a cubic foot weighs or what the 480 cubic feet per 2 gallon kit weighs. I am pretty good at math but if I use what they say 480 cubic feet weighs 960lbs :lol: No way!

Also get him to give you an estimate of how much you will need to fill all your voids.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

I don't know how much the foam kits weigh per gallon, but if it's 10 pounds, then a 2 gallon kit adds 20 pounds to the boat. That weight is more than air, of course, so the boat won't rise up out of the water as you add buoyancy foam!

The lightest boat will not have foam, but foam does give you some advantages, some of which you mentioned- it makes a quieter hull, adds stiffness to the hull and support to the sole, and temperature insulation. The biggest advantage is it displaces potential water, both from a leak allowing rain water to infiltrate below the sole and from a catastrophic leak from knocking a hole in the hull. In addition to adding foam below the sole, it's a good idea to add some up higher, like concealed below the side decks, that is so in the even that the boat gets full of water it would still float upright.
Hank

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Pee Wee is right, and each gallon of the foam in liquid form weighs about 10 lbs per gallon, so a 2 gallon kit adds 20 lbs to the weight of the boat, but provides 480 lbs of positive buoyancy when it expands. All the other advantages are also true (i.e. stiffening the boat below the deck, making the ride quieter, displacing water if and when you might puncture the hull).

As to raising the sole 2.5" above the plan design I would go for it. That platform is super stable, regardless of the height of the deck. Have seen several similar designs, and builds here that take the deck all the way to the sheer line so it is essentially a platform that you fish on. Of all the things I did not do on my OD 18, raising the sole above the design height is the one thing I wish I had done. The scuppers drain well when on plane, but being able to wash the deck down while fishing, and leaving the scuppers out when anchored or tied to a dock would be very nice! Another advantage is it will give you more space to install your chase tubes below the deck, especially if using sweeping elbows.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman