Raised sole on xf20

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Matthew Anderson
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Raised sole on xf20

Post by Matthew Anderson »

How much would I need to raise the sole of my boat to be self bailing through scuppers when fully loaded with 1450 pounds. This is motor, jack plate, batteries, fuel, live well, power pole, ice, passengers and gear.

My frames are all cut and the jig is almost finished. I’ll be cutting my stringers soon, looking for input on how much thicker I might need to cut them to cut them.

Thanks guys

nightcrawler
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Raised sole on xf20

Post by nightcrawler »

Hi Matt
Been struggling with the same problem my self on a xf 22. Im a little ahead of you at this point with stringers and transomes built. think im going to add 1.5 " to the top of the stringers @ 90 degrees to them and hope for the best. Wont know how she floats till launched. I am on hold with the build till about april 15 ,so you will probably pass me.
Happy building
Good luck
Roland

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I am replying on a tablet, working from memory. I do not have access to the plans but, please read the study plans for each boat. I list the displacement for the XF22 and the PPI for each boat plus, there are comments about the boat with 20 persons on-board and no cockpit flooding.
There is no need to raise the cockpit sole.

If you want more figures, please wait until Tuesday. But all the figures are on the study plans and in previous forum threads.

Sorry for not being able to help more until next week.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Dr Pete
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dr Pete »

On my XF20 I used the stringers per plan. To support the sole I glued 1x2 crosswise and lengthwise to the stringers. I also glued tabs to the inside of the hull to support the sole. The sole is then glued to that matrix, taped to the hull and bulkheads fore and aft. Joints of the sole then taped. It is self bailing only because of another”happy accident”

Matthew Anderson
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Ok so here are my calculations, please feel free to interject any thoughts.

The plans give a completed hull weight of 810#. I will be adding two additional stringers. Floatation foam in the entire sole. All surfaces will be glassed. My D15, Forever Young, came in 20% heavier than the plans predicted, this was due to it being my first build, excessive epoxy and fillets in places, lots of fairing, etc... so let’s say the hull will end up @............................................975#
Yamaha 4st 70hp....................253#
Jack plate..................................33#
Batteries..................................150#
Fuel 20 gal & tank...................135#
Live well 30 gal.......................250#
Ice and chest............................50#
Passengers.............................500#
Controls and rigging..................50#
Gear..........................................30#
Trolling motor............................80#

Grand total............................2506# This would be Tournament type weight, by no means everyday fishing weight.

Draft at DWL = 2-1/2”
Displacement at DWL = 865#
PPI = 412#
Extra weight above displacement at DWL 2506# - 865# = 1641#
1641# / 412 # per inch = 3.98” (4”)
4” + 2.5” = 6.5” of draft at full weight.

If I raise the sole to 6.5” the boat would be self bailing under this much load?

Have I figured this correctly or am I missing something?

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Nope there is no reason to make the XF20 a self-bailing boat, especially no need to add the extra stringers. A flats boat should not be going out in rough weather in the first place and in the second place a lots of flats fishermen get out and push there boats over extremely shallow water. If you raise the deck like you want you will only have about 3" of freeboard inside the boat, and make the boat unstable. That is not safe if running at high speeds. Build the boat as designed and plug the scuppers that is what everyone else does. If you are really worried about water coming into the boat have a scupper running to the bilge so they can pump it over the side.

Well good luck on however you build your XF20, just post lots of pictures. :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Dr Pete
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dr Pete »

Good morning Matthew. We should be building ice huts for fishing instead of boats. If it would be of any help or hindrance I am going to be in Port A where my XF is in a week for a week. Welcome to show and tell and get some measures. peterjdvm@yahoo.com. I am way above your weights. This was my first build. 4 stringers per plan. Not certain what Tom is referencing. I have probably 10-14” above the sole. Happy to visit next week or before. Couldn’t get PM to open. Pete

cape_fisherman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cape_fisherman »

I don't think raising the sole will make the XF unstable.

Matthew Anderson
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Thank you Pete,

I would love to see your boat. Just got power back on after 3 nights without. The house dropped to 42 degrees. Crazy times here in our great state. Geez

Dr Pete
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dr Pete »

Matt will be great to have a visit. Boat is on a lift so we can go on the water. I plan to be in PA by Monday for at least a week. Text or call 512-925-9746 Pete