Phantom 16/18 vs waves

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Matkuz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Phantom 16/18 vs waves

Post by Matkuz »

Hi everyone,
it's nice to join to so great group of boat building maniacs, thanks a lot. :D
I was looking for a plan for a bass boat, and i have found Phantom 16. There is one question which stops me from starting building my own. Question is, how Ph16 handles on rough water ? Usualy on lakes where im fishing there are wave about 12-14 inch high, but sometimes when the weather changes, and its start to blow, waves became 25+ inch. So will i be able to come back safe in that weather ? Some opinions and advices ? :help:

Mat

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Phantom 16/18 vs waves

Post by OneWayTraffic »

I don't have that boat but I've come back in worse weather in smaller boats. If you have full buoyancy and scuppers or a decent pump it shouldn't be a drama. I can not speak to the quality of the ride but I would be shocked if those conditions were a challenge to the PH18.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

25+ inches is a lot for a boat like the Phantoms. But yes you will be able to return. You will need to slow down and have good seamanship. A 16' boat in that size waves takes some good boat handling skills. Been there done that! Don't want to do it very often. 8O I would start heading for home once the white caps start building. What type of waters are you boating on. If you are boating in those conditions routinely I would go with the larger PH18.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Matkuz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Matkuz »

Those are lakes from 10k-28k acres, some of them are long and narrow and some of them are squere shape. Those 25+ waves are not constans, but those 12+ are.

cape_fisherman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cape_fisherman »

With these low to the water boats, I would be sure you could get the bow high (not too much weight forward) & have excellent self-bailing capabilities.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Matkuz wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:51 am Those are lakes from 10k-28k acres, some of them are long and narrow and some of them are squere shape. Those 25+ waves are not constans, but those 12+ are.
Matkuz how about doing the C17 and not putting the second panel or cabin on it and cutting the first panel to be flat like the Phantom shape. You could then outfit the interior like the Phantoms. With the deeper V you can run through the 12" chop with out slowing much and the 2' chop you get it will take it better. Several guys have built the C17 boats with a center console so that is not a problem. Without the weight of the second panel and small cabin your draft will also be about the same as the Phantom. A 40-50-60HP motor would be more than enough. Top speeds would be well into the 30's. One of the new light weight 70's into the 40's. The deeper V of the C17 is more like the bass boats sold commercially, they often have 10-12 degrees of V. I don't know if you are competing in local tournaments, but since you are going out in those conditions I have my suspicions. :lol:

Don't believe what anyone tells you none of these small boats are really self bailing. At speed yes but run your scuppers out the transom. To really be self bailing raise the sole an inch.

Just something to think about.

Oh, on last question where are you located at you did not fill in that when you signed up.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

cvincent
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cvincent »

I run my PH18 across open bays regularly. Take your time and the boat will perform well. I choose to do this when the weather permits.
Completed D15, Completed PH18

Matkuz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Matkuz »

TomW1 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:13 pm
Matkuz wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:51 am Those are lakes from 10k-28k acres, some of them are long and narrow and some of them are squere shape. Those 25+ waves are not constans, but those 12+ are.
Matkuz how about doing the C17 and not putting the second panel or cabin on it and cutting the first panel to be flat like the Phantom shape. You could then outfit the interior like the Phantoms. With the deeper V you can run through the 12" chop with out slowing much and the 2' chop you get it will take it better. Several guys have built the C17 boats with a center console so that is not a problem. Without the weight of the second panel and small cabin your draft will also be about the same as the Phantom. A 40-50-60HP motor would be more than enough. Top speeds would be well into the 30's. One of the new light weight 70's into the 40's. The deeper V of the C17 is more like the bass boats sold commercially, they often have 10-12 degrees of V. I don't know if you are competing in local tournaments, but since you are going out in those conditions I have my suspicions. :lol:

Don't believe what anyone tells you none of these small boats are really self bailing. At speed yes but run your scuppers out the transom. To really be self bailing raise the sole an inch.

Just something to think about.

Oh, on last question where are you located at you did not fill in that when you signed up.

Tom
That's not bad idea ! Only only this bow. it's a little bit to raised for a bass boat, that is not what i was looking for, but maybe i should considerd this.
Im from Poland, but born in US :lol: those lakes ive been mentioning are great masurian lakes :)

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

It's fairly straightforward to change the sheerline of a boat. Just build as specified and mark and cut the way you want after the flip. Changing the hull bottom is not straight forward. Choose a boat based on the hull shape first, topside appearance second.

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog »

I believe that the PH16 & 18 are designed for the operating requirements of fishing in inshore coastal waters of the Southeast U.S.

As such the requirements seem to be shallow draft to operate in the shallow saltwater environment endemic to the area, casting decks for sight fishing, ability to travel across fairly large distances and navigate open sounds at a good rate of speed with tidal conditions influencing the watershed. The under water bottom is composed mostly of sand, mud and occasional oyster reefs.

The Masurian lakes region appears to be more similar to the upper Midwest of the United States and of the Central Provinces of Canada. Both areas containing predominately glacier created natural lakes, with rivers connecting the various watersheds and the lake bottom being a mix of rock, sand and mud. You find aluminum boats in the Upper Midwest more often due to the lack of saltwater corrosion conditions and the malleability of aluminum when encountering rock strikes in operation. Simply put Aluminum bends and dents while fiberglass tends to fracture when hitting a rock. These boats are also being operated in generally colder water and weather conditions so shelter from the elements becomes a factor. They exhibit a deeper V, more freeboard and often double cowlings or windshields.

The boat plans that are more like the ones used in these areas would be the OB series. The OB 19 would be a good candidate for you to consider.