Repainting Yoda's HMD19

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Repainting Yoda's HMD19

Post by Cowbro »

Pictures:

In the second image i scrapped away the paint with a pocket knife. I can stick the blade in about 1mm into the wood. This is about as bad as it gets. I am pretty sure these cracks/checks are in the same direction as the plywood face grain.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

I'd do what you did after sanding it all down to primer.

I'd use some plain epoxy on that and follow it immediately or wait an hour and apply fairing. I don't like really super dry lumber for holding compounds and I precoat it. Now and then I take a risk, but that looks really dried out.

Glass each side and fair and be done messing with it.

Sorry. But I'm honest.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Cowbro »

fallguy1000 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:47 pm I'd do what you did after sanding it all down to primer.

I'd use some plain epoxy on that and follow it immediately or wait an hour and apply fairing. I don't like really super dry lumber for holding compounds and I precoat it. Now and then I take a risk, but that looks really dried out.

Sorry. But I'm honest.
I think you are right. I was really hoping I would scrape off the paint and the wood would look solid. That crack has me concerned. I'll sand it all down and reassess. I am picturing some neat epoxy squeegeed into each crack.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Cowbro wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:42 pm
fallguy1000 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:47 pm I'd do what you did after sanding it all down to primer.

Sorry. But I'm honest.
I think you are right. I was really hoping I would scrape off the paint and the wood would look solid. That crack has me concerned. I'll sand it all down and reassess. I am picturing some neat epoxy squeegeed into each crack.
Neat brush painted into each crack hard, and then you can wait say 30 minutes for it to run out or force fairing into it right away. But you can also use peelply to catch the excess before you set fairing compound into it.

I just hate when that stuff gets super dry cuz it drinks resin and I am always nervous you won't bond to it. Making a too thin fairing mix that won't drysuck and it will sag out of there on the horizontal.

I think the best way is to expose them all. Put a piece of tape and peelply just under them all as a drip catcher, paintbrush them with neat, after they all have time to drip out and kick a bit; say like an hour; take a metal scraper and clean off any excess runs and remove the peelply and tape drip catchers, then insert fairing compound. Come back and sand them all with 60 grit. Fair them all a 2nd time. Glass it all. Final fairing and paint. You can do much of that work with a beer in hand. Some of it with a beer after the work.

The glasswork will cover some of them, but I'd grind some of them out. I'd probably go 6 oz glass to avoid any of the lighter checking printing out...hopefully.

That'd be my likely approach.

You should never need to mess with it.

Make sure to neat coat the woven 2-3 coats because it will like to print through under dark paint if you don't post cure it some. Otherwise you can also put it out facing hot sun each side for a day before you final sand it for paint and that may do the trick. But some of the old checkng or weave can print through rather easily. Then you'll be looking at a future paint job addressing that issue. Dig?

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

If it's just a few spots I'd patch with epoxy and paint. If it's a whole repaint I'd be mighty tempted to use some cloth over all of it. Done once and never worry about it again.

cape man

Post by cape man »

Ouch. That is the ply cracking. I see some sanding in your future. Only change in my recommendation is to use epoxy mixed with wood flour to fill the cracks after soaking them in neat epoxy. Stronger than fairing compounds. It's a bitch to sand when fully cured, but it will only be the small areas where you find similar issues as that last pic.

Unfortunately you will need to get all the paint and primer off before applying epoxy and glass.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

second capeman

I would use only fumed silica in the mix, but wood flour and silica are both harder than fairing compounds for seam repair.

I mostly coined in here to add that a lighter paint color may reduce the tendency for printing through and for that checking to occur.

Dark colors get really hot in the sun when ambient temps are already 100F. I'd say that boat has a bit of sunburn.