C17 sole between Frame B and C

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

C17 sole between Frame B and C

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Can it be omited between B and C in the cabin? If required for strength could I put that strength back by leaving it on the stringer area and leaving a cutout in the middle so I can stand on the hull bottom?

Second question though I'm pretty sure I know the answer: If I add a frame between B and C going to the hull bottom for furniture, there will be no issues as long as I treat it like a regular frame, filleted and taped?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: C17 sole between Frame B and C

Post by jacquesmm »

You can add components but usually, not remove them since we count on most parts to participate in the strength of the structure.
You should not omit that small sole, it adds strength. I suppose you want a few inches of extra headroom but it will not make a difference.
However, if you skip the sole but add a frame in between, under the sole level and double the inside glass there, it will work.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

jacquesmm wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:11 am You can add components but usually, not remove them since we count on most parts to participate in the strength of the structure.
You should not omit that small sole, it adds strength. I suppose you want a few inches of extra headroom but it will not make a difference.
However, if you skip the sole but add a frame in between, under the sole level and double the inside glass there, it will work.
Thanks for the prompt reply. I am still going over permutations for layout. Pilothouse console, Forward steer with cabin, sit in pilothouse like a Cdory16, DIY T-top with windscreen, the list goes on. All I know at this stage is that I want somewhere to drive out of the sun and rain, a simple light layout that fits the size of the boat, and a place to lie down somewhere. Sleeping on the boat is a nice to have but I don't mind pitching a tent on the deck for the very rare times that this will happen.

I considered a larger boat but this is the biggest size I can fit in the back of the house to build, and the most I can tow without buying a new car. I'll make it work somehow, I just want to know what I can do structurally to the cabin area. A few inches of headroom might make a difference between looking proportional , and looking like an outhouse on a dinghy.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

OneWay you could also raise the roof of the C17 a couple of inches without making her an ugly boat if that would help you. Take your plans and draw it out and see what you think. I think I raised it 4" before i didn't like the look. I angled the front a little more than it is, not much. Remember you can do anything you want once you are above the sole.

As for your idea of building a box you can do it just build a structure against the hull supporting the floor of the area you want to stand on as Jacques explained. Make it as big as you need.

Tom.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

I like the look and style of the Cdory16 and I think I can replicate that in plywood for the most part. I do have plans for the cabin off the HM19, and could scale it down a bit or continue the C17 cabin sides as you suggest. Whatever I do will be a compromise, it is only a 5.2m boat. Having said that it's bigger than the Cdory16 so I believe I might manage that. Not worried about it being top heavy the cabin structure will be as light as I can make it. More worried about looks than anything.