LM18

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: LM18

Post by cape man »

If you put a skeg on the LM18 it will interfere with the flow of water to the tunnel. It just can't be done.
Quite true...if there was a tunnel on this boat :lol: :lol:
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

fishgitr
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by fishgitr »

It definitely won't have the same affect. I might still do it. I just haven't decided fully. I'm installing rubrails on it today. I have been out of town working. So I will yall some progress photos.

fishgitr
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by fishgitr »

cape man wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:03 am I'm very impressed. I love/hate sanding and fairing, and you make it look simple.

I don't mind it so much since Chris Morejohn showed me about using this sander. I still block or flat sand on the primer to get it better, but it isn't bad.

Marshall Moser
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Marshall Moser »

fishgitr wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:24 pm
I don't mind it so much since Chris Morejohn showed me about using this sander. I still block or flat sand on the primer to get it better, but it isn't bad.
So you cake the fairing compound on and definitely cover all the lows and then sand most of it off?

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Marshall Moser wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:56 pm
So you cake the fairing compound on and definitely cover all the lows and then sand most of it off?

That's about how I describe this whole boatbuilding process: ziptie some plywood together, cake on various types of epoxy, sand away anything that doesnt look like a boat. Fini!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

fishgitr
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by fishgitr »

Marshall Moser wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:56 pm

Yes, make it thick and sand it off. You do waste some, but you can usually get it in 2 rounds.

fishgitr
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by fishgitr »

Yesterday I got all of the inside glassed and stringers installed. It was dark by the time I finished so I will get pictures today. Hopefully I get the frames glassed in tonight.

Between the first two frames up front, I will be building a built in fuel tank. This too, will act as a sub floor inside of the front hatch.

Dr Pete
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dr Pete »

My boat is mostly constructed of epoxy and wood flour with randomly interspersed pieces of plywood.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

PeteEdquist wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:31 am My boat is mostly constructed of epoxy and wood flour with randomly interspersed pieces of plywood.
:lol: I know this story. I have ordered so much wood flour over the years that when I order epoxy BBC goes ahead and fills the box with it unless I tell them not too :oops:
Speaking of BBC I got my last order in four days. Florida to Alaska in 4 days is dang good service if you ask me.

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

Fuzz wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:57 pm

Speaking of BBC I got my last order in four days. Florida to Alaska in 4 days is dang good service if you ask me.
I ordered some stuff from Jeff over the phone today while I was driving around doing errands. When I got home, the order was there already.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie