Marshall's FS17

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
MarshallTX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Marshall's FS17

Post by MarshallTX »

Thanks. It nearly appears to be fiberglass (tape).

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

Yes. Tape those joints both sides with fiberglass tape.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

cape man wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:17 pm Yes. Tape those joints both sides with fiberglass tape.
X2 :wink:

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Oh, crickeys! I didn't know he was asking about glassing the joint. Oi vey...I gotta read slower some days.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

MarshallTX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MarshallTX »

Great inputs from everyone; much appreciated!

MarshallTX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Ready for planking

Post by MarshallTX »

I placed the bottom planks on the frame and all appear surprisingly good. Looking through the forum, a few quick questions if someone has some time:
1. When the stringers were dropped into the frame notches, they are sometimes slightly below the frame or sometimes flush. Is this a concern?
2. When placing the planks, do I align with the aft part of the transom?
3. I see references to lightly anchor the planks to the transom. Is this to stabilize the position or something else?

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

The plywood does not have to touch the stringers the whole way. The big thing is to make sure it is fair. No two pieces of plywood will bend the same so small differences are to be expected. I think the hull bottom should run out over the transom but look at your plans to make sure.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Puzzle Joints

Post by OneWayTraffic »

MarshallTX wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:43 pm Puzzle joints are all accomplished. I've reviewed several forum posts and some appear to have added tape before placing on the mold for the planking process. Is tape required?
It wouldn't hurt, but depending on the stress on that joint while planking it may not be required at this stage. See the designer's comment here. Regardless I would ensure that it has glass on it at some stage, whether now or later is up to you.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=63904&p=441216&hilit=puzzle#p441216

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=63578&p=456631&hili ... pe#p456631

MarshallTX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Planking - Beginning stages

Post by MarshallTX »

I've started planking. When the bottom planks are positioned, the gap in the seam between the planks accommodate a 16 penny nail fairly well with a notable exception: there is a much larger gap at the midway point on the boat. I'm unable to close that gap as I would go plank-to-plank, with no spacing, at the bow and the stern. The attached photo somewhat illustrates what's happening but does not show the size of the gap too well. My guess is a good 1/4 inch. Is there a solution? Any recommendations? Many thanks - Marshall
Attachments
Seam.jpg
Seam.jpg (147.15 KiB) Viewed 1686 times

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

That is not a problem, get under the boat and tape the seam so putty does not fall through. Then as required fill the seam with wood putty. Then the 2-3 layers of tape as required. One quarter inch is not excessive and no cause for concern.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978