Marshall's FS17

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Dr Pete
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Marshall's FS17

Post by Dr Pete »

Outside of our friends in Alaska we have ranches here bigger than some of the other folks whole states

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi »

MarshallTX wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:08 am Transom fastening issues - The plans for the FS17 have specific measurements for the strongback dimensions. They are 166 1/8". While attempting to attach the transom, the strongback appears to be too long and interferes with this step. Altering the strongback will be a headache due to cross-framing (underneath) that runs the length of the strongback. Measurements of what I've done match the plans. What's wrong here? Any advise?
If you read the Jig Setup section it says,
from plans wrote: ● cut 2x6's (strongbacks) to the dimensions given on the plans. Their length is critical since it
locates the frames and the transom.
● Note the angle at the transom end, it matches the transom angle, 13 degrees. That means it
matches the stringer ends: no need to measure, you can use the stringers as a template.
Then if you look in the large sheets at the end it gives the exact dimensions for the strongback boards and the angle at the transom end.

From your picture it looks like you just need to trim your strongback to match the angle and it will fit.... I think :)

Hopefully that helps,

Narfi

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

From the designer:
see below, a picture extracted from the plans. Do not pay attention to the fonts, this is come from my CAD file/

The picture shows the construction drawing, the end of the strongbacks.
Note the angle. The strongback is angled. In your picture, it is straight. That is why the transom hits the strongback.
The solution is simple: move that cross beam forward a few inches and trim the strongbacks to the proper angle.
Once that is done, it should all fit properly.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Thanks Narfi, you are correct. I added a picture to make it super clear.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

MarshallTX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MarshallTX »

All great inputs; thank you!

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Marshall,

If your stringer ends and motorwell sides have matching angles then you simply need to make sure the spacing is correct from the transom to the motorwell bulkhead. Since we had some issues with the stringer notches and had to adjust them I would tend to lead toward the motorwell sides as my spacing guide. Use the motorwell spacing as your guide and, if necessary, trim the stinger slightly.
Remember, it is ok to have slight gaps when going through this process. Small gaps (1/8" or less) are acceptable and will be filled with thickened epoxy and covered in fiberglass.
Going forward (after seeing the photos), I would follow the recommendation of Narfi and Jacques on the transom issue and then work out the spacing issue as I described above.

Good luck!
-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

Catfishtoon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Catfishtoon »

Looking forward to watching your build. I work at Barksdale and Live about a hour east of there.

MarshallTX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by MarshallTX »

Catfishtoon: I just returned from a 3 month hiatus and noticed your post. What boat do you have? Complete or in the build?

MarshallTX
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Puzzle Joints

Post by MarshallTX »

Puzzle joints are all accomplished. I've reviewed several forum posts and some appear to have added tape before placing on the mold for the planking process. Is tape required?
Attachments
DSCN4077.JPG

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Plastic or poly or ship tape shiny side won't stick to epoxy. Shrink wrap sucks; gets kinda stuck!

Someone might tape each side down to keep them from moving during the cure.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495