panga 22

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
jljones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: panga 22

Post by jljones »

I am ready to glue the joints so I can round to corners and tape, But these is after many hours and still not getting it close enough to frames b and c that have a camber much more then 3/8 plywood can bend, especially in a compound bend like at the bow of the boat I used massive forces to try and get there and to keep fair was a challenge the instructions said use wire ties but when I first started to bring the plywood down to the chine they just started breaking , everywhere from mid-ship forward I used copper wire to hold together, since the keel could not come closer then 2 inches from the mold c, I had to add space 1/2 inch at mold g and so on to make the keel fair, The glue at the joints forward are never going to hold the forces that are there when I take the wires off. I was so exciting after loosely stiching the panel's together about the way it was looking.
Attachments
hull2.jpg
hull1.jpg

jljones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jljones »

I am ready to glue the joints so I can round to corners and tape, But these is after many hours and still not getting it close enough to frames b and c that have a camber much more then 3/8 plywood can bend, especially in a compound bend like at the bow of the boat I used massive forces to try and get there and to keep fair was a challenge the instructions said use wire ties but when I first started to bring the plywood down to the chine they just started breaking , everywhere from mid-ship forward I used copper wire to hold together, since the keel could not come closer then 2 inches from the mold c, I had to add space 1/2 inch at mold g and so on to make the keel fair, The glue at the joints forward are never going to hold the forces that are there when I take the wires off. I was so exciting after loosely stiching the panel's together about the way it was looking.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Do not worry about gaps inside close to the bow. Focus on fairness and accept a little gap. That bow has tight curves.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

I had similar trouble with the LB22 and finally had to kerf the forward 3' of the bottom panels. I was using Meranti ply and it's stiffer than Okoume. I still had 1/2" and more space from the keel but it was no problem. Once you get a fair hull and get it set with epoxy you can adjust the frames to fit as needed. Your pics look ok to me 8)

Dougster

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

I've seen a few Panga buiilds. Everyone had issues with the bending. One solution I saw was to cut the bottom into strips near the front on the PG20 which were then individually bent into position. This helped the bending but I'm not sure about fairing. Keep in mind that the PG20 is even harder to bend into shape than the 22. Aside from some minor kerfs on the inside, you could try a little water to soften the wood. The other thing is time. If you can give it a few days the wood will set into the new shape. If you are worried about the glue tabs holding then just use a few glass strip to tab in high stress areas between the cable ties. It's not hard to fair over since there's another 4 or so layers going over anyway. Ensure the glue has plenty of time to reach max strength before you remove it.

jljones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jljones »

so i got the boat glassed on the bottom and frames fitted, i found a 17 gallon tank that will go below the sole, and will have a porta poty inside center console, will be small but worth it.
fuel tank.jpg

jljones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jljones »

so i got the boat glassed on the bottom and frames fitted, i found a 17 gallon tank that will go below the sole, and will have a porta poty inside center console, will be small but worth it.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Nice!!! Jeff

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Very nice, the 17 gallon tank should work well with a 50 or 60 HP motor as suggested by Jacques as long as you don't plan long distant cruises. Really like the PG's.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

jljones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jljones »

so as talked about before, forward the boat became a deeper V then design because of the difficult to bend the compound curves, as much as 3 inches at frame C, to make the hull straight from frame V to transom I added space at the other frames aft as seen in first picture, I am happy with the modified hull,

The other pictures show my CC design
Attachments
panga22bottom.jpg
cc1.jpg
cc2.jpg
cc3.jpg