Panga 20 Plans - where the F?

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
JBPhoenix
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Panga 20 Plans - where the F?

Post by JBPhoenix »

Hi Team,

I am looking through my Panga 20 plan set and can not for the life of me find Station (F) on the "Frames" Sheet. It is shown on the "Stations" Sheet. Now this could be a simple matter of some dumbassary on my behalf, but if someone can please help me out of my downward spiral toward insanity I would appreciate it :D

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Panga 20 Plans - where the F?

Post by TomW1 »

Frames and Stations are the same thing. Just different words for the same thing. :D :lol:

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

JBPhoenix
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JBPhoenix »

TomW1 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:40 pm Frames and Stations are the same thing. Just different words for the same thing. :D :lol:

Tom
Thanks Tom!, ok with that in mind, I have one sheet titled Stations with A-F + Transom that are basic hull shape obviously for setting up the mold.. Then I have a Sheet titled "Frames" with A-E + Transom showing the Stations with the middles cut out t the shape of the floor, ribs etc. BUT no "F" on that sheet. SO, am I correct in thinking the "F" station gets no further modification like the others ?

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

JBPhoenix wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:44 am
TomW1 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:40 pm Frames and Stations are the same thing. Just different words for the same thing. :D :lol:

Tom
Thanks Tom!, ok with that in mind, I have one sheet titled Stations with A-F + Transom that are basic hull shape obviously for setting up the mold.. Then I have a Sheet titled "Frames" with A-E + Transom showing the Stations with the middles cut out t the shape of the floor, ribs etc. BUT no "F" on that sheet. SO, am I correct in thinking the "F" station gets no further modification like the others ?
Could it be that F is only used as a station/mold for hull shape and not used as a frame ultimately in the boat? I would think the notes would indicate such. To me, a station is not the same as a frame: a frame is a structural part of the boat, a station is a place within the plans or jig.

"STATION
One of a series of equally spaced transverse "slices" of the hull, as shown in the lines drawing of the plans. When building a boat, there may or may not be frames or bulkheads at all or any of the stations. Also referred to as section."

Some Other Designer
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Station F is at the motorwell bulkhead. It is the motorwell bulkhead.

I explain that on the first page of the building notes:
The stations are lines showing cuts through the hull.
The molds are the pieces of wood used to shape the hull. Thye are located at the sttaions.
The frames and bulkheads are the transversal pieces of the hull.

The stations drawing shows the stations, the lines used to draw the molds.
In my designs, I locate the bulkheads and frames at the stations.
The stations drawing shows the outline of each mold, frame and bulkhead
The frames drawing shows the details for each frame and bulkhead, the inside shape, the sole etc.
Since F is a full piece of plywood that looks exactly like the station F (= mold), I don't show any details for it on the frames drawing.

To draw a frame, you start by drawing the outside lines and then add the inside cuts.
In the case of F, there are no inside cuts.

Better than to draw a new outline on plywood, use the molds to draw the outlines for each frame.
No need to do the job two times.
Frame F is exactly the same than station F.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

JBPhoenix
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JBPhoenix »

jacquesmm wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:54 am Station F is at the motorwell bulkhead. It is the motorwell bulkhead.

Since F is a full piece of plywood that looks exactly like the station F (= mold), I don't show any details for it on the frames drawing.

Better than to draw a new outline on plywood, use the molds to draw the outlines for each frame.
No need to do the job two times.
Frame F is exactly the same than station F.
Perfect! Thanks jacquesmm !

Thanks all.