Console plans missing option?

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Console plans missing option?

Post by OneWayTraffic »

I today purchased the downloadable plans for all the consoles.

A console with integrated T-top is mentioned, but I do not see it in the pdf. Is it still there? It would be a useful option as commercial t-tops cost hundreds. Quality ones go into the thousands.

nightcrawler
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Console plans missing option?

Post by nightcrawler »

Did you ever get an answer?? I would be interested in the same.
Roland

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Most of the open boats can take a tee top. The console plans package show mostly pilot house style consoles, with a roof, no tee top. There are no plans for the tube welding itself, only for the consoles. There is no pipe welding in those consoles.
I show some of those pipe specs on some specific plans for large boats like the GS28 but in almost any case, the welding shop has it's own preference and standard models from which they work.

Do you plan to weld a tee-top your self? For which boat?
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

jacquesmm wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:50 am Most of the open boats can take a tee top. The console plans package show mostly pilot house style consoles, with a roof, no tee top. There are no plans for the tube welding itself, only for the consoles. There is no pipe welding in those consoles.
I show some of those pipe specs on some specific plans for large boats like the GS28 but in almost any case, the welding shop has it's own preference and standard models from which they work.

Do you plan to weld a tee-top your self? For which boat?
Thanks for the reply.

In the console/pilothouse plans package the following is mentioned early on:

Large console with optional integral tee-top, no seat in front. Easy to
customize. This is the console we show on the Cat 22.
- Typical tee-top: for reference only. We show dimensions that fit the AB23
console. Details like flanges and bolting are left to the pipe welders preference.

Yet the PDF I received goes from A295/9 flats boat console, to A296/1 Pilothouse. Nowhere in the PDF do I see the drawings for the Cat22 integral tee top. Also some of the drawing numbers in the pdf do not match the stated drawing numbers in the list of contents, though most drawings are there. It seems to me that different versions of the pdf have become mixed or something.

I am building the C17, and am still thinking over the layout. A console with the integral tee-top would be something I'd like to look over.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

That drawing exist and should be included. I don't have a copy of the PDF file here but we will solve the problem on Tuesday.

That drawing will give dimensions for a large tee top, you will have to scale it down for a 17 footer.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Thanks. I look forward to receiving it.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

Did I read you were expecting 12 inches of rain? That would be a ton of water!
I see in the news New Zealand is having major flood problems. I hope you are not part of that.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Hey Fuzz. Just a good soaking where I live, and a day (so far) off work, as the school I teach at can't safely run the bus routes. No major flooding in my little town; there's no river nearby and our house is a good way off the road anyway for surface water to be an issue. The C17 is nice and dry in its tent as well. I only checked it four times. :D We are on the edge of the affected area though, some little streams have gone up in flow over 1000 times since last week. From a drought to flood, which is always the worst. No time for the ground to open up and accept the water, so too much of it runs off.

I'll take the chance to say that I just got a look at your rebuild with the wooden hardtop and rails. Got me thinking. According to my calculations a 60mm angle section of 9mm ply (2.5" of 3/8") would be as stiff or more so than a standard 1" stainless tube, so it's a real option if I can make it look good. I've even saw a 4.5m boat (15') with a standup doghouse that doesn't look terrible. Not great, but not terrible. And warm and dry beats cold and wet.

https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/45-mag ... 31750.html

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

Seems like you need to get up to 25-30 foot boats before you can put a good looking cabin one. So that leaves the builder a choice built it pretty or build for comfort. Like always I would change a few things if I had it to do over but at least it keeps the wind and rain off to a large degree.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

True, but given the choice between the two I'd pick comfort. Still I don't mind the look of a tee-top in a 5m boat, and side clears can handle most of the comfort issues if need be. Still not 100% decided though, and won't be for a little while.