LM18 vs PH16/18

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
JCW1982
New Poster
New Poster

Re: LM18 vs PH16/18

Post by JCW1982 »

Good stuff, thanks gents.

Cbuf, I just read through your build yesterday and picked up a few things I will try to stow away for reference.

Still way too far off to be thinking about topside paint...but I am pretty accustomed to white with current and past boats.

I did a very light shade of gray with sand as my non-skid element once and it was amazing how hot that deck got when barefoot. I regularly wear shoes but it is something that has made me rethink colors on the deck.

I have used Kiwigrip on another boat and thought that was a neat product but after fishing it for a few seasons, it can be a pain to clean. I also think I prefer the finer, toothier grip achieved with sand or similar granular type substance mixed with the paint. I like what can be done to vary the aggression with Kiwigrip, but even the more aggressive applications seem to soften and loose some of that tooth when water, slime and blood are on the deck (IMO).

JCW1982
New Poster
New Poster

Re: LM18 Console and Storage Options

Post by JCW1982 »

Researching different build threads and mulling over options has me thinking about locations of some equipment and storage spaces.

I still want to stay with remote steering and a trolling motor. I expect to use two batteries. I am undecided on consoles though i.e. center console vs small side console. I may change my mind a dozen times before I ever commit to a build but I would like to have a plan going into the project.

I know the best place to locate the weight of two batteries would be as close to the center of gravity of the vessel...about midships and along the centerline....which is right about where the center console would go.

If I went with the side console option, this would eliminate the battery storage option from the console. If this route is taken, would it be best to locate the starting battery in an aft compartment and the trolling motor battery in a forward compartment so the weight is somewhat evenly balanced fwd to aft?

Or would it be better to place both batteries in a fwd compartment to help offset engine weight? And if both batteries were placed in a forward compartment would this be too much weight at the bow when coupled with the fuel cell, trolling motor and a 250lb adult when fishing?

Or am I just overthinking this?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Whatever you do, keep it balanced. The LCG is at the console or grab rail.
A lot depends on you engine weight but if you want two batteries, one of them could go forward but not if you install the fuel tank forward.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

I would stay with a center console, it si a very narrow boat and a side console will throw the weight to one side. As far as determining weight balance there is a very simple formula to balance your weight fore and aft. You know the LCG is at the console. So any weight you move back must be counter acted by moving a weight forward. So you put a battery next to the transom 9' from the console, put one 9' in front of it. The formula is 9 x weight of battery = x x can be any amount of weights to make up it whether you do it in one lump sum or in pieces. Do not worry about the weight of the motor Jacques has taken that into account in his design calculation. A 30 and 40 HP weigh the same, and a 25 only 75lbs less. Not a significant amount less.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. Look forward to you documenting and launching your build

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

JCW1982
New Poster
New Poster

Post by JCW1982 »

Jacques and Tom, thanks for your replies.

Tom, I understand your comment on the side console and the prohibitive nature setting weight to one side compared to the center console....but I can't help but feel the side console would open up the cockpit a LOT. I have been on some small boats where the center console took up the majority of the cockpit and I couldn't help but feel like a small side console would have made it feel much larger than it was just by having the room available. May be just my perception though.

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by BarraMan »

I built my boat with a side console for the reason you state - to open up the cockpit space. In my case so we could more easily camp in the boat. The weight off to one side is only an issue when you are solo - put a set of trim tabs on the boat = problem solved.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee »

A center console can be made as small or large as you want, and as usual there are trade offs with either choice. One advantage I see with a side console is the option to route things under the side decks and avoid the need for chase tubes (possible water entry) under the sole. Down sides would be the skipper may be more exposed to spray, the console may be in the way when fighting a fish, and the balance consideration already mentioned. There would be other considerations, too, like ease of grabbing dock lines when operating from the side of the boat. On a larger design with a tee top a center console is nice. For those sensitive to motion a central seat location will be more comfortable.

Trade offs.
Hank

VT_Jeff
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by VT_Jeff »

JCW1982 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:28 pm Jacques and Tom, thanks for your replies.

Tom, I understand your comment on the side console and the prohibitive nature setting weight to one side compared to the center console....but I can't help but feel the side console would open up the cockpit a LOT. I have been on some small boats where the center console took up the majority of the cockpit and I couldn't help but feel like a small side console would have made it feel much larger than it was just by having the room available. May be just my perception though.
I was going for a minimally invasive cc and this is what I ended up with. It will have a fold down seat. The top was drawn around the helm, cant get much smaller.

I could have made the legs skinnier or even poles, and brought them straight down instead of copying the rake of the transom, and those changes would have reduced the foot print a fair bit, but they would also make the guest seat less comfortable and given less legroom to the driver.
Attachments
20210609_094645.jpg
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-building season.

Completed Paul Butler 14' Clark Fork Drifter
Completed Jacques Mertens FS14LS + 10%, Build Thread
Started Iain Oughtred Tammie Norrie

JCW1982
New Poster
New Poster

Post by JCW1982 »

pee wee wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:55 am A center console can be made as small or large as you want, and as usual there are trade offs with either choice. One advantage I see with a side console is the option to route things under the side decks and avoid the need for chase tubes (possible water entry) under the sole. Down sides would be the skipper may be more exposed to spray, the console may be in the way when fighting a fish, and the balance consideration already mentioned. There would be other considerations, too, like ease of grabbing dock lines when operating from the side of the boat. On a larger design with a tee top a center console is nice. For those sensitive to motion a central seat location will be more comfortable.

Trade offs.
While I hadn't mentioned it yet....this was another reason I was considering the side console. I plan to keep the rigging as minimal as possible and being able to eliminate chase tubes was something that has appeal. I was planning to run wire (nav lights, trolling motor and fuel tank sending unit) and fuel hose in the corners of the gunwales....easy access and no chase tubes or holes in the sole.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

JCW1982 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:05 pm
pee wee wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:55 am A center console can be made as small or large as you want, and as usual there are trade offs with either choice. One advantage I see with a side console is the option to route things under the side decks and avoid the need for chase tubes (possible water entry) under the sole. Down sides would be the skipper may be more exposed to spray, the console may be in the way when fighting a fish, and the balance consideration already mentioned. There would be other considerations, too, like ease of grabbing dock lines when operating from the side of the boat. On a larger design with a tee top a center console is nice. For those sensitive to motion a central seat location will be more comfortable.

Trade offs.
While I hadn't mentioned it yet....this was another reason I was considering the side console. I plan to keep the rigging as minimal as possible and being able to eliminate chase tubes was something that has appeal. I was planning to run wire (nav lights, trolling motor and fuel tank sending unit) and fuel hose in the corners of the gunwales....easy access and no chase tubes or holes in the sole.
I''m sorry to disappoint you but you will still need chase tubes to prevent chaffing of the fuel hose, cables and electrical wiring. There is no way around them You cannot just run them through the frames with out some support between the frames. Gas, electrical, mechanical should all have there own chase tubes. They should never run together. Recommended chase size tubes are 2" for mecanical, 1-1.5 for electrical and 1.5 for fuel line. If you can do that on your side console great. :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978