PH22 Questions

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

PH22 Questions

Post by Jeff »

This question arrived via email over the weekend: "Hi, ive got question, is phantom 22 just resized ph 18 ? Deadrise at transom and at cutwater is the same in ph22 and ph18 ? Second question, is there an option to build ph18 or ph22 with foam core ? Herex core ?" Jeff

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PH22 Questions

Post by jacquesmm »

The PH22 is not a resized PH18, it was designed from scratch. It is somewhat closer to a Bay Boat.

We did build a PH18 in Airex and yes, the PH22 can be built in foam sandwich.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Matkuz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Matkuz »

Thank's a lot for answer ! So PH2 should be more "brave" in rough water, than smaller Phs. What is the deadrise at transom and catwater ? I'm also considering GP21, which one is going to be more stable in choppy water ?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I don't like to announce the deadrise because too many people have the misconception that deadrise equals a smoother run.
I can design a 15 degree deadrise hull that slams more than a 8 degree one.

The PH22 deadrise at the transom is 6.4 degrees, at the cut water, it is 30 degrees.

The PH22 hull has a smaller Beam to Length ratio than the PH16 and 18 and a slightly deeper hull.

The GP21 is a much bigger boat and will be more stable and run smoother in the same chop.
It's not the length that makes it a bigger boat, it's the displacement.

BTW, why Airex? I am familiar with it and like it but I am surprised of the choice. Do you live in Europe? I don't see any info under your username.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Matkuz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Matkuz »

Thank you for an explanation, so probably GP21 is more suitable for condition on my water.
Yeap, i am from poland. why i choose airex/herex ? First of all, its great material, its very easy to cut, easy to shapeing, its lighter then plywood. Secondly ive made fiew things from it, and it was true fun. Most curious thing is that herex sometimes is in the same price as marine plywood