Wakeboat plans

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
Cbuf
Active Poster
Active Poster

Wakeboat plans

Post by Cbuf »

Wake boats are crazy expensive. The new ones are running into the 300K. They seem relatively simple in fact if you look at a mastercraft or a ski nautique the hull shape and bottom haven't changed in many of the models for over 10-20 years. The components on a wakeboard boats can be pricy, but still 300K for a 20-24' boat?

Main components of a wake boat:
V drive is a must to not chop skiers in half
ballest systems - Most boats have 3. Center about 400-600 pounds and the rears are about 800-1000 pounds a piece. for a total of between 2200 - 2800 lbs. of water pumped in to bags or tanks.
Big motor to move all that weight Indamar uses a 350 Ford Raptor motor for its engine and a zf drive.
the rest is seating and windshield.

It would be a fun build.
I figure 10K in wood and materials to build the hull
5k in electronics ( speed control, depth, engine rigging, etc.)
10k for interior and cushions
12k for engine and trans
5k in wake tower
8k in ballest system pumps, bags, misc.

Might be cool to build your own wakeboat. We just need a hull design.

Thoughts.
See my LM 18 build here.
viewtopic.php?t=64254
See my LM 18 Questions here.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=64299&hilit=lm18\
Finished Boat Here
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=65173

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Wakeboat plans

Post by jonnymac »

Interesting idea, I feel like in you cost estimates your engine cost is low. Those hulls are designed the opposite of a regular boat, they make a bigger wake and push that water. Its a big cross section to push through the water. on the other side of the cost estimate, I feel like ballast tank system shouldn’t cost anywhere near 8k, plastic tanks and bilge pumps that pump in instead of out would more than get you there. Maybe a seachest to keep chunks out. The upper bar thing they tie off of isn’t going to be cheap either. as that is a custom fab job.

the challenge is where are you going to get the hull design?

Cbuf
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Cbuf »

Well even if my estimates on the engine and trans are low, maybe more like 15-20k, I still think it would be fun. I think a custom build would be good for this type of boat because weight it your friend. Even if you mess up and make it heavy it is going to help you out in the long run. I just need Jacques to make up some hull designs. Big, 22'- 24' wide 8', with hull plan for a vdrive. The think the hardest part of the design is the bow. High enough to not take waves over the front, low enough or driver far enough forward to still see over the bow when your run at a 40 degree angle doing 11 mph not on plane.

cbuf
See my LM 18 build here.
viewtopic.php?t=64254
Finished Boat Here

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Hey Cbuf interesting project. Have you looked at the Mangusta 20. It seems to fit your requirements except for the 8' width. I am sure Jacques will help you adapt it to the z drive. Nothing difficult there, just some framing adjustments. He may even be able to help with the water bag placement.

Well good luck on the project.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

BarraMan
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by BarraMan »

TomW1 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:06 pm Hey Cbuf interesting project. Have you looked at the Mangusta 20. It seems to fit your requirements except for the 8' width. I am sure Jacques will help you adapt it to the z drive. Nothing difficult there, just some framing adjustments. He may even be able to help with the water bag placement.
Well good luck on the project.
Tom
I was thinking the same thing Tom! :D My boat is based on the Mangusta 20 hull, upscaled 10%. Its 22' long and 8' wide at the transom.

Although built to be a long range fishing boat, each Xmas it does double duty as a water ski, wakeboard, tube towing boat, and was also built with that in mind. It has two large live-wells at the rear that can be quickly pumped up or down with individual Yabsco pumps, and can be fitted with a ski pole or wakeboard pole or tube bridle, as required. Its a good ski boat, an OK wakeboard boat (for the level of skill of my 'wakeboarders') and a great tube tow boat. It could be made to be a much better wake boat with more ballast and easily has the room for that.

It was never going to be as good as a dedicated wake boat - but it keeps my crew happy. An outboard is never going to be as good for hardcore sking/wakeboarding - but 250 horses on the back helps!

The Mangusta plans come with a stern drive option and I assume it could be built as a V-drive.

Cbuf
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Cbuf »

I have been eyeing your boat as a potential walleye and musky fishing boat for larger lakes. I couple weeks ago I was fishing lake Michigan in the new ZV21 PRO. Big deep with a 300 hp. We wound up getting kicked off the water after trolling in 4-6 swells even some 8' and the wind was still picking up. Have you ever been out in big stuff in the mangusta? As for making it into a wakeboard I think it might work. I'll look at the study plans.

thanks
cbuf
See my LM 18 build here.
viewtopic.php?t=64254
Finished Boat Here

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Cbuf that ZV21 Pro is one heck of a boat. I believe Lee will have some stories for you. Those Wisconsin lakes will be perfect for the Mangusta modified for fishing. Once you get the sole down any thing but the side frames are yours to modify. The insides can look the same as the ZV21 if you want, with in reason. Just remember these boats are lighter than a production boat so weight balance must be maintained. You may need to move your live well forward in example. Do talk to Lee on what adjustments he made. Your insides may be totally different from his.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

Cbuf wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:21 am I have been eyeing your boat as a potential walleye and musky fishing boat for larger lakes. I couple weeks ago I was fishing lake Michigan in the new ZV21 PRO. Big deep with a 300 hp. We wound up getting kicked off the water after trolling in 4-6 swells even some 8' and the wind was still picking up. Have you ever been out in big stuff in the mangusta? As for making it into a wakeboard I think it might work. I'll look at the study plans.
thanks cbuf
Cbuf, I'm not sure what you mean by 'big stuff'!

I haven't been offshore in the boat. For the fishing I do, I'm mostly in rivers and estuaries - the boat 'eats' anything they can offer up! When travelling to fishing spots we do transit open water but the Gulf of Carpentaria in northern Australia where we fish is shallow. We can be several miles off the coastline but running in only 20' of water. Once the wind gets up it can be pretty nasty with 3 - 4' high frequency swells and some deep 'holes'.

This is the only video of the boat travelling in such conditions. Here we are doing about 25 kts.

https://youtu.be/Odz0j1mpgdQ

I have been in worse conditions where we were restricted to a max of about 10 kts and were taking waves over the bow continuously. The boat never felt unsafe - just slow and wet. The "Gulf chop' is notorious! :help: One of the reasons I built the boat was to get us home safely in such conditions.

I think it would handle bigger amplitude/lower frequency swells more easily.

One of my fishing buddies is a pro-fisherman, and he has taken the boat over one of the most notorious bars on the east coast of Australia (Brunswich River) a couple of times. It looked pretty intimidating to me but he thought the boat handled it easily.

Cbuf
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Cbuf »

Nice. I saw that video after I posted about big waves. I think something like that will be my next build, a boat that can go fast and handle big stuff, but in a walleye style boat with windshield and a canopy for fall musky trolling. I'm torn between the AB 23 and the magusta + 8-10%. I think the magusta has more free board, but not sure. I just have to wait until my daughter goes to college for the next boat build.

cbuf
See my LM 18 build here.
viewtopic.php?t=64254
Finished Boat Here