Paint choices for C17

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
rezab
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Paint choices for C17

Post by rezab »

Hi All,

The end of fairing is starting to be within sight, and so I have started to think about paint choices. I am not planning on leaving the boat in the water for extended periods of time, so anti-fouling is probably not necessary, though that may change in the future.

I've seen Interlux perfection recommended, but would love to hear what other people have done. Any recommendations?

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Paint choices for C17

Post by Jaysen »

EMC for ease of use (except fallguy1000, something went way wrong for him) and if you want to see how fast you can spend money. That fecal matter is expensive but it works so well even I can have a good looking boat using it.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff »

Yes, EMC is the best paint we sell. They are a great South Carolina company with excellent customer/technical service!!! Interlux Perfection is a good paint but not in the same quality as a EMC or AwlGrip. Call Reid if you want to discuss choice!! Send us photos of your boat!! Jeff

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

I really do not like awlgrip for rolling. Hate is a better word. EMC I have no experience, but they scared me away on my big project.

I would go for Interlux if I were starting over today. 2000e goes on so nice...

EMC would be a good go to on a smaller craft like the c17.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Rmarsh
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Rmarsh »

I only have experience with the Interlux Perfection. My boat, a C17 center console version, stays on a trailer but inside a garage. The two part Interlux was easy to use and has held up to six+ years of use.........actually looks as good now as it did when it was first launched.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

I'm using POR15 topcoat on mine. Only one part polyurethane available in NZ. Most of the two part paints need spraying or a good technique on the brush and roller. Good news is, any paint will work over epoxy. I've even seen photos of boats painted with exterior house paint that looked good, at least from a distance.

BarraMan

Post by BarraMan »

I rolled and tipped International Perfection 2-pack polyurethane paint onto my boat. It’s now 5 yrs old and still looks good, also tough.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

I know nothing of painting and had very good luck with EMC on two small builds (canoe and SK14) Has held up well too so I would use it again.

Dougster

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

EMC was a disaster for me. Followed everything to a T and the 3rd coat peeled away from the second. Their customer service was worse as it took them a week to get back to me and they couldn't figure out the issue. It's also super thin so your primer needs to be perfect for it to look good. I ended up grinding it all off and starting over with something else.

Interlux perfection is pretty good, but what they don't tell you is from the time you open it you have to use it all within 5 to 7 days or the catalyst starts to harden. If you're new to rolling and tipping it's a very forgiving paint and probably the way I would go. Just plan your schedule well.

If you want the cheaper route, I've used interlux brightsides, and also rustoleum with enamel hardener, with good results.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe, and an FS17.

Matthew Anderson
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Matthew Anderson »

4B47B88B-83A2-4193-A2FC-68A8C09AA968.jpeg
59CE164C-D308-4349-A48A-F64DC3D49F07.jpeg
0F170165-A0D3-4705-B135-16D93E3FD651_1_201_a.jpeg
tempImageaO08Ad.gif
Awlgrip rolled and tipped. A bit of a learning curve but once I figured it out, wow! 7 years old and still looks the same as when I finished it.

On the downside, it cannot be touched up if it gets dinged but it is really pretty tough.