HMD19 Transom Saver or not ?

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
blueflood
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

HMD19 Transom Saver or not ?

Post by blueflood »

Hi all, I meant to put this question here vs the builder pages...

Penny HMD19 is nearing completion with the outboard break-in period coming up at end of summer hopefully. The Mercury 9.9 Pro Kicker XL shaft, electric trim / tilt is rigged but it is a long outboard and weighing 110 lbs. The trim tab is almost touching the ground at motor full down position. Obviously it will have to be tilted up during transporting. I looked at transom savers to install in order to reduce shock and stresses but the last trailer cross beam is so far forward of the transom which makes it very difficult to attach on the cross beam to the lower unit.

I only plan to travel from home to marina a few times (30 kms back roads) but a longer trip is required where I will permanently moor her in Montreal (120 kms highway)

So..is a transom saver required for a few short trips ? The boat / transom is solidly built which can no doubt take some abuse but safety is also important and of course unseen transom damage which can be a problem down the road. I do not want to damage the outboard otherwise.

Anyone know of other methods to secure the outboard in the up position ?

Marc

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: HMD19 Transom Saver or not ?

Post by jacquesmm »

Could you put a wedge in there? With something locking it in place?
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

blueflood

Re: HMD19 Transom Saver or not ?

Post by blueflood »

Allo Jacques,

Yes, some people do install wooden wedges and made sure it's secured somehow. The 12" deep skeg and trailer configuration are the issues but I could always fabricate a U bracket to straddle each side of the skeg and add a central support to the outboard.

I like wedging a chuck of wood though...much simpler.

Marc