Shanty boat build - self design BBC materials

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Shanty boat build - self design BBC materials

Post by jbo_c »

fallguy1000 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:17 am
The gt23 is a great design with a larger displacement houseboat hull option.

I had an old Evinrude 18 and it died when I forgot to add oil to a 6 gallon tank fill up. Broke the crank right in half.
Interestingly, both the GT hulls have immersed transoms/are planing hulls unless I’m very mistaken. I’m actually considering considering a GT27 build when I retire depending on physical ability and monetary comfort level.

Love my little 18. It’s been going as long as I have. I’d be heartbroken to lose it.

Jbo

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

I don’t think transom immersion defines planing or displacement. If it did sailboat hulls designers would have a lot of explaining for how many are incorrectly designed.

The shortest answer is that the hull shape, things like planned rocker vs flat to transom, is what differentiates planing vs displacement. Jacques has often commented that planing hulls can be displacement hulls much much easier than displacement hulls can be used as in planing hulls. His advice in the past has been to ask his direct advice on how to use a planer in displacement context.

I’m not sure if Jacques would approve of the XF as a displacement platform but it seems to me that it would be easier to build and hence worth asking Jacques about.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Jaysen wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:08 am I don’t think transom immersion defines planing or displacement. If it did sailboat hulls designers would have a lot of explaining for how many are incorrectly designed.

The shortest answer is that the hull shape, things like planned rocker vs flat to transom, is what differentiates planing vs displacement.
I understand the difference. But folks here keep recommending I use a hull designed for planing for a program plan for displacement, which just doesn’t make sense to me, so I’m trying to understand why.

Jbo

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

I wouldn't say transom immersion is necessarily what defines a planing boat per se but an immersed transom generates a lot of drag and I can't think of anything designed to run at displacement speeds with an immersed transom other than a barge.

If you look at the same boat in planing and displacement forms...say Ross Lillistone's Fleet and Flint - the big difference is that one has enough rocker at the stern to pull the transom out of the water. If you leave it in, it's going to suck, literally.

An immersed transom needs enough speed for the water to separate cleanly. That's not normally part of displacement operation, and definitely not on any typical hull form that I can think of. Maybe there's some freak boats out there that are exceptions, I'm not sure. But generally speaking, if you leave the transom in the water, it means that until the boat begins to plane you're dealing with a lot of suction on the transom.

You sometimes hear guys saying something like "the transom dries out at 11 knots" - this is essentially a description of planing.

Of course you can chug around in a planing boat - I sometimes do in my deep V pig. The xf would be way more efficient than that.

But a true displacement form, even more so.
I designed my own boat. This is the build thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=65349

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Anyway in regards to this particular boat, I know that the tendency here is always going to be to steer people to one of the existing plans. I do think that the plans here are very good and owning a set or two is worthwhile from a study perspective.

But if you want something not quite identical to what's available here, for sure, design something yourself. There's always Dave Gerr's scantlings (which are total overkill on small boats), experience and imitation to guide you. People get really wrapped around the axle that you need every number worked out to five decimal places and every detail accounted for.

I would totally agree on any boat that will cross oceans or hit 50 knots or something.

A shanty boat in protected waters? Keep the weight down low. Look at proven scantlings from someone like Gerr. Enjoy the process. I find it really rewarding.

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

cracked_ribs wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:23 am I wouldn't say transom immersion is necessarily what defines a planing boat per se but an immersed transom generates a lot of drag and I can't think of anything designed to run at displacement speeds with an immersed transom other than a barge.

If you look at the same boat in planing and displacement forms...say Ross Lillistone's Fleet and Flint - the big difference is that one has enough rocker at the stern to pull the transom out of the water. If you leave it in, it's going to suck, literally.

An immersed transom needs enough speed for the water to separate cleanly. That's not normally part of displacement operation, and definitely not on any typical hull form that I can think of. Maybe there's some freak boats out there that are exceptions, I'm not sure. But generally speaking, if you leave the transom in the water, it means that until the boat begins to plane you're dealing with a lot of suction on the transom.

You sometimes hear guys saying something like "the transom dries out at 11 knots" - this is essentially a description of planing.

Of course you can chug around in a planing boat - I sometimes do in my deep V pig. The xf would be way more efficient than that.

But a true displacement form, even more so.
Thanks, Cracked.

Those are the points I was trying(perhaps unsuccessfully) to make.

Jbo

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Well nobody is obligated to agree with me, but I think you have a good point! You could totally motor the XF around on a small engine - I have no problem pushing my two ton deep V with a 9.9 - but it's not ideal and if you want to design something yourself anyway, why not?

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Well said CR it is his boat to build. I was trying to get him a proven hull to build that would get him off to a great start and hold his shanty. jbo just make sure your confident in your scantlings, weight and flotation calculations. Your PPI should be closer to the XF22 at 627lbs than the HDM19 displacement at 320lbs my last advice to you.

Good building and good luck. :D

.Tom
Last edited by TomW1 on Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

cracked_ribs
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by cracked_ribs »

Yeah that's a fair point about the XF22 - at least it's got all the scantlings totally ready to go and you know the parts will fit. It's not a bad choice at all.

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

I do really appreciate everybody’s help. Can’t wait to start the build.

Already 5 pages into my thread and don’t have the wood yet. :)

Jbo