Shanty boat build - self design BBC materials

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Shanty boat build - self design BBC materials

Post by jbo_c »

Yeah. But: a) that’s still a “conversion” and b) then it’s harder to split into two for two guys to make a trip.

It’s a great idea. I still consider a transverse bed, but my wife struggles with insomnia and we don’t want to be crawling over each other. So the bed has to be inline with the centerline of the boat.

Jbo

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

Just curious, have you ever traveled on a small houseboat/shanty? And where abouts are you located?

We rented a old 18ft houseboat earlier this year in central Fl and had a good time, but gave us some insight too.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe, and an FS17.

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

SN,

I’m in northeast Georgia. I think you and I actually corresponded on another forum recently about your trip.

I have spent some time on small boats, but not overnights. However, we are hikers/campers and don’t require much. So I’m confident we can enjoy the space I have planned for on the boat. We do use our boat frequently for the program noted above with the exception that we don’t use it for overnights.

Basically, I’m nearing the end of my physical ability to hike and camp the way I’d like, so this boat will be a way for me/us to extend that while saving our bodies as we move into retirement.

Would certainly appreciate the chance to weigh any thoughts or insights you offer. (Actually based on feedback - that I’m pretty sure you noted - I have begun exploring what it will take to include at least some form of conditioned air in my boat. Otherwise, I will lose the three central summer months for most overnighters.

Jbo

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Just curious here: why not build a GF18, or one of the Flats designs then put a superstructure on it? Seems to me that that would be more straightforward.

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

I think an 18' hb is a wee bit small.

An ac unit wise. When you find one, let me know. I think you need solar and plenty of battery. My battery box is under the aft bench on the outside of the cabin.

My wife gets the inside as she is the better sleeper. Beds for n aft robbed us of shower and galley and table.

Most everything needs to double purpose on a boat.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

OneWayTraffic wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:44 pm Just curious here: why not build a GF18, or one of the Flats designs then put a superstructure on it? Seems to me that that would be more straightforward.
Good question, and I’ve considered it.

GF18 is far less real estate. Also is a planing design whereas I’m designing for low power. I’ve done lots of looking and actual designs for the hull I want are very few.

My hull will be very simple on its own and certainly simpler than scaling up a design with more complex panel shapes.

Jbo

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Yes, Fallguy, 18’ would be very small. I would have to give up almost the entire outside area. That seemed pretty dumb on something whose entire purpose was to get me outside to begin with.

That’s why I ultimately got to 22’. I tried hard to make it fit into 20, but just didn’t feel there was enough space outside the cabin.

Jbo

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

A/C will probably be a later retro-fit. Haven’t found anything acceptable yet. I’ve been looking on forums on teardrop campers for ideas.

Swamp coolers are an obvious first thought, but here in the deep southeast are pretty much useless with our humidity.

I’ll let you know what I find.

Jbo

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

From a hull perspective, what about an XF? Be flat bottom. Skip the tunnel. Add some freeboard. Big displacement but should be easy to move.

Might be something to consider.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

jbo_c, we may have spoken on one of the other sites I'm on, I frequent a few these days.

I know you are up in Georgia, but if you fancy a trip that will teach you a bit then I'd rent one of these little guys like we did from Tinyhouseboatadventures.com It was I think $260 for the weekend.
Or maybe find a rental that is local similar to your build. There really is no way to see how things work, other then using a similar example.

So here's the little boat we rented.
20210205_121442_resized.jpg
20210206_080300_resized.jpg
20210207_095234_resized.jpg
20210205_121454_resized.jpg
20210207_095140_resized.jpg
20210207_095240_resized.jpg
20210207_095158_resized.jpg
Naturally as any boat builder would, I brought a tape measure and did a rough sketch of the interior. Here it is. The numbers are in inches.
18ft Hobo outline.jpg
I'll start by saying we are not the smallest people. I'm 6'3" and 240lbs, so some of this boat was a bit tight. The dinette converted to a bed, but it was a little narrow and to short for 2 of to sleep on it, so I slept on the bench. The head/toilet was too narrow! I had trouble....err....cleaning up. It was also where the roof dropped down so I couldn't even come close to standing in it. I would make it at least 24-26 inches wide and increase headroom. These issues are all worked out if you stretch the boat a few feet like you plan and make the beam 8.5ft instead of 7.5ft.

Yes add AC! maybe a rooftop camper unit powered by a small generator on a swim platform? Or just a window unit, one that dehumidifies would be nice. I'll add more in a minute, my computers is about to die.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe, and an FS17.