Shanty boat build - self design BBC materials

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Shanty boat build - self design BBC materials

Post by OneWayTraffic »

jbo_c wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:18 am
OneWayTraffic wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:44 pm Just curious here: why not build a GF18, or one of the Flats designs then put a superstructure on it? Seems to me that that would be more straightforward.
Good question, and I’ve considered it.

GF18 is far less real estate. Also is a planing design whereas I’m designing for low power. I’ve done lots of looking and actual designs for the hull I want are very few.

My hull will be very simple on its own and certainly simpler than scaling up a design with more complex panel shapes.

Jbo
https://www.boatbuildercentral.com/prod ... lans-gt23/

That makes sense. Did you consider this? This style of boat is nearly useless where I live, so I'm interested in the thought process.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

jbo the XF22 is almost perfect for you. Like Jaysen said just raise the sides. This way you have a proven design. If you want to make it a little narrower take it out of the center, though I don't know why you would want to. And also raise the stringers and deck a few inches. While it is a planing boat just put a 20 or 30 HP motor on it to make it a displacement boat. You will also need a skeg to help in turning. I can help you determine the size motor you need as you get close to the end of your build and have an idea of the weight of your build and I can put it through my calculators. Your cabin will add a bunch of weight aft so be careful you add weight forward like fuel and water tanks or some form of ballast, though you may not need to. The XF22 can carry a pretty good load and you might want to wait till after launch till adding ballast forward.

Well that's my thoughts and something for you to think about. Since your making it a plining boat you can get by with 170z instead of the 1708 but check with check with Jacques.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

You really ought to rent one.

Here in Minnesota, it is not legal to not have a backup boat or tow boat.

I really like the ends of the boat to be open which pushes more footage and the sides of the hull need to carry the ropes, so a minimalist would be a rope tray.

Did Barry sell the gt23?

That'd be the way to go. Gt23
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Good thoughts here. Appreciate all the feedback.

This boat will most likely be pushed with a 10hp. Even that will likely be overkill, but I think that’s going to be the smallest I can find with electric start. I have an old 18 Evinrude that’s likely to be the initial propulsion, but planning to graduate to a modern high thrust.

Jbo

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

That 18 will push the gt23 at displacement speed, say about 1-2 miles and hour or maybe up to 5 under the hump. In all my houseboat trips, top speed is about 15, but the operators want you to run below 3000 rpms. So the boats travel about 10 mph. Yes, a 30 mile trip is 3 hours at least. Most of the time, people are going slower.

The 18 won't provide you a margin of safety to get off or away from tstorms or high wind, but it is plenty for the gt23. That boat should probably never have a 150 on it. It is a ton if power.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

We aren’t fast boat people. 5-7 knots is plenty. We’ll just wait out a storm inside rather than try race it somewhere. 90% of use will be within 100 yards of shore, frequently much less, often on both sides of the boat.

Jbo

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

SilentNeko,

Thanks for the pictures, and especially the measurements. My wife and I are looking at doing that very trip in the fall. Would appreciate any further thoughts or pictures from your trip.

We actually had planned a 7 day trip down the Eerie Canal for this summer, but COVID ate it. Hoping to do it next year if my shanty boat isn’t finished and on the water by then.

Jbo

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

jbo a 9.9HP will be enough for you. I ran the numbers through my calculators and you would be fine. I assumed a weight of 4500lbs with the shanty, people, safety gear, food, and everything else. A 9.9 will be perfect and will allow you to cruise at a 5-6 mph without stressing the engine, top speed is 9mph. A 15 will give you a little safety margin with a top speed of 12. I used Yamaha outboards for my calculations. Mercury also has a 9.9HP Pro Kicker EFI.

I used 4500obs as Jauques listed 3000lbs as the DWL for the XF22 so I may even be light for your boat. You will need to keep a spread sheet to determine what your final weight is or weigh it on a scale once finished.

Wishing you the best and post pictures as you go.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

No problem. The trip was a blast. The 3 boats he has to rent have different interiors so make sure to look over the pics for the one you want. If there is high wind he doesn't want you to go into the larger lakes for obvious reasons, but the wind never pushed us much. We even got stuck in a storm and never had a worry.

We didn't cook. Instead we chose to bring snacks in the cooler and stop at the various eateries up and down the river. Swamp House is a definite stop. Good food, good drinks, and the basin it sits in is a pretty cool setup.

When traveling up and down the river you literally just find a hole or side canal, drop anchor and go to sleep at night. They give you a 12v fan which was good enough for us at night. Make sure you go when it's cooling off. The river is pretty, lots of wildlife and old growth.

Just remember these are antique boats from the 70's, and pretty basic. Ours was clean, but a little rough around the edges. Plenty good enough for the weekend. It was a pretty unique experience cruising around in it. We had plenty of airflow with the windows and door open, and with the screens and such we never worried about bugs, sun, or rain. We never even put on sunblock.

There are a few places to hit up, but the best we hit by far is Blue Spring. There are tons of fish and manatees in the spring, and its a really nice park. You are allowed to beach the houseboat there. There's a small area to the south that you just pull up to, tie off to a tree, and walk around the park. There is ropes and floats blocking the water entrance to the spring, but you can motor right up to them and drop anchor. Then sit there and drink while the manatees circle your boat.
20210206_112753.jpg
20210206_131559.jpg
20210206_130002.jpg
20210207_095306.jpg
20210206_130105.jpg
20210206_125941.jpg
20210206_121057.jpg
20210206_120747.jpg
20210205_144934.jpg
20210205_140027.jpg
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe, and an FS17.

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Thanks, Tom. I appreciate your efforts. I was figuring around 4500 pounds all up so it sounds like we’re thinking along the same lines.

Will definitely share pictures. I know how much I enjoy looking at others’ progress when I cruise the forum.

Jbo