Shanty boat build - self design BBC materials

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Shanty boat build - self design BBC materials

Post by fallguy1000 »

Buy this one.

All ready to go hull.

viewtopic.php?p=491610#p491610
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Too much done, WAYYY too big a motor(that I wouldn’t know what to do with). Nice that it has a trailer already, though.

Jbo

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen »

Sell the motor and acquire something sized to your liking. Motors are gold plated based on the current market valuations. You might even come out ahead on the deal.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Currently working on making a Helms 24 our coastal cruiser.
“Mark Twain/Samuel Clemens” wrote:Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.
Jaysen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

jbo agree with Jaysen motors are hard to find and new ones are on hold for 4 months or more out. You should have no problem selling. Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

Probably get a hull for nothing. Barry jist wants to sell to someone who will build. It is the planing version, but it'll work fine with the 18hp.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

After lots of deliberation, I’ve decided I need to pass on that one, Fallguy. It’s a good deal for somebody who’s looking for an open/deck boat type concept, I think. But just not a good fit for my planned build-out and program.

Thanks for connecting us, though, Fallguy. It was hard to say no.

Jbo

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

Some semirandom ramblings this afternoon. You guys seem to be hung up on submerged transoms and efficiency for some reason. Someone commented previously that not many displacement boats have submerged transoms, but that is not true around here. Nearly every houseboat, cruiser, and trawler in the US have submerged transoms, somewhat because adding to the waterline increases displacement speeds in a monohull and decreases draft. The only modern boats that I've noticed with so much rocker that the transom is out of the water are some sailboats. This is because they are designed to be powered, by wind obviously, from the middle of the hull instead of the stern. They need to be able to be able to rock and pivot. In this case if they have a small outboard it is just secondary propulsion.

Looking around at boat designs I wonder if you are looking at canal boats more then a house or shanty? The canal boats of europe are made to only move a limited amount, some are barges that have to be towed. They are designed to be tied off or anchored from both ends instead of swinging with the tide, and move at very slow speeds. The weight balance is central, so you often see front and rear decks with the cabin in the middle, or no decks at all.

Maybe post a few more examples of what you want, and more clearly define it's criteria. Are you looking more for fuel efficiency (very slow, but great fuel economy)? Looking for efficiency at a certain speed (a product more of waterline and power)? Looking to maximize speed with small power (not a good program for a monohull)? What draft numbers are you looking for? You likely answered much of this in part, but maybe reorganizing your thoughts in one post might get some additional traction.
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe, and an FS17.

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

I’m looking for efficiency at low speeds. Maybe sailboat accommodations and pace in a power boat. A short, fat canal boat is pretty much my plan. This boat is for exploring sloughs and slow rivers for long weekends. - maybe spend some time on the Tenn-Tom.

Hesitant to post a lot about other designs out of respect for the plans/designers offered here. Here is a description of a design similar to my plan “ Is real estate getting too pricey for that waterfront cabin you’ve always dreamed about? Then consider one of these houseboats as an alternative. While not meant for anything fast, foul, or furious, they make a perfect retreat for anchoring a spell in your favorite backwater cove, or for moseying along protected waters in search of game, fish, sights, or solitude.”

My wood is due to hit the distribution center tomorrow. Got a couple of house projects to finish before I can make the first cut, but I’m moving forward.

Jbo

silentneko
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by silentneko »

You may find out quickly that slow and efficient can be fine in static canals and lakes, but can give you trouble on a river. Fighting flow and wind can mean little momentum if any at all. Make sure you have enough power reserves to forge ahead. It's better to have it and not need it...
Built: 15ft Skiff, 16ft Skiff, Modified Cheap Canoe, and an FS17.

jbo_c
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by jbo_c »

Agreed. Will definitely have to plan for wind and current when those will be factors.

This boat will be used in many of the same places and ways that I use a canoe or kayak, only with more room and comfort and no need to sleep ashore under a tarp or in a tent, so speed shouldn’t be a big concern.

Jbo