DE23 laminating 4x 9mm?

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: DE23 laminating 4x 9mm?

Post by cape man »

His question is also related to using BS6566 instead of BS1088. I am not familiar with BS6566. I would do a boil test on a sample before using it on a transom (or anywhere on a boat). Boil the wood in water and see if the glue fails. You can glue the pieces together yourself, but if the glue inside each piece fails its still a major problem.
If the wood passes the test, I agree with Lee - you don't need a vacuum, just a lot of evenly distributed weight.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

cape man he was only inquiring about using BS6566 it is the same as BS1088 only is allowed to have small voids. Not ideal for a transom. Can be used for frames. I think he is going with the BS1088 anyway.

Lee is absolutely correct. There is no need to get into the complications of vacuum bagging on such a large piece. Do as he did and you will be fine.

Regards, Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

I wasn't thinking a proper setup. Just a house vacuum, a large vacuum storage bag cut open, some plastic and a roll of tape. Cost about $20. Just a thought. True most people laminate transoms without, just using screws or weights. I did, but in hindsight I'd try the vacuum storage bag.

ficcus
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ficcus »

Hi, I glued 3 layers (12 mm) without vacuum for my DE23. I always penetrated both glued sides and then applied the epoxy to both sides with a notched trowel. I used only 2 pins to match the edges.
First day I glued 2 layers a 2nd day add third layer.

Transom 1
Transom 2