PG25 Construction Questions

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: PG25 Construction Questions

Post by OneWayTraffic »

No need. Nearly every question has already been asked. The search function has answered many of my questions over the years.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10836&p=80135&hilit ... oam#p80135

serge
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by serge »

Thanks Tom; I'm aware of moving stuff and impacts on center of gravity.
If I built it I'd float it and move some weight around and see how it sits in the water.
Just hoping to save some weight and maybe lesson the impact of moving the console aft.

The further back the better the ride.

Thanks OneWay; I've read that thread.
I'm not interested in a complete redesign or even a foam hull.
Just a couple options to loose some weight if they're feasible.
Specifically the sole; seems like an easy way to raise the floor an inch or two and save a few pounds without going broke buying $400 panels.
The only reason I asked is because the ST21 plans specifically offer that option.
But two totally different boats.

Serge

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Fallguy reducing the motor to a 60 or 70HP does not work for the PG25 it is to big for that small a motor. The 90HP is an ideal size for it. Big enough but without going into the heavy weights of larger motors. of 115-125HP's.. I was the one that worked up the numbers for Ron to determine the ideal motor for his Panga25. The Yamaha 90 is lighter than the 115 by about 25lbs. The Honda 90 he has is about the same weight as the Yamaha. I think with Serge using foam the 90HP will be an excellent choice as he will be lighter in the stern and the scuppers will be higher.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

TomW1 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:38 pm Fallguy reducing the motor to a 60 or 70HP does not work for the PG25 it is to big for that small a motor. The 90HP is an ideal size for it. Big enough but without going into the heavy weights of larger motors. of 115-125HP's.. I was the one that worked up the numbers for Ron to determine the ideal motor for his Panga25. The Yamaha 90 is lighter than the 115 by about 25lbs. The Honda 90 he has is about the same weight as the Yamaha. I think with Serge using foam the 90HP will be an excellent choice as he will be lighter in the stern and the scuppers will be higher.

Tom
Something seems off. Not your math, but that a narrow beam 25' boat would be sinking below dwl with 1 pax.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

serge wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:12 pm Thanks Tom; I'm aware of moving stuff and impacts on center of gravity.
If I built it I'd float it and move some weight around and see how it sits in the water.
Just hoping to save some weight and maybe lesson the impact of moving the console aft.

The further back the better the ride.

Thanks OneWay; I've read that thread.
I'm not interested in a complete redesign or even a foam hull.
Just a couple options to loose some weight if they're feasible.
Specifically the sole; seems like an easy way to raise the floor an inch or two and save a few pounds without going broke buying $400 panels.
The only reason I asked is because the ST21 plans specifically offer that option.
But two totally different boats.

Serge
Using honey comb in the sole is a great place for it. Many of the commercial fishing boats around here are building the decks with it. Nice thing, unlike foam, is increasing the thickness does not increase the weight or cost very much. I am just starting a rebuild project and plan on doing the decks with it.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

serge wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:05 am Few more construction questions when you get a chance Jacques:

1. Nidacore deck and sole OK to replace wood to save weight?
Deck would be thicker to raise floor to enhance self bailing characteristics.

2. Divinycell OK for frames to save weight?
Yes to each.

3. If I wanted composite stringers to save weight would you OK and if so what material?
Not worth it, no.

4. I see on the plans how to cut the side panels to get the lines for the PG25S.
I do not see how to make adjustments for the molds and frames for the PG25S.
Are those notes there or are those height increases determined by the builder as the material is being cut?
Which adjustments? What do you want to change? I must have missed something.

5. Does the boat require trim tabs?
No but every boat will benefit from trim tabs.

6. Can the console be moved 24" to 30" further aft?
Batteries and larger fuel tank would be forward.
Better ride further aft.
Notes say 12" OK; hoping another 1' won't screw it up too bad.
No please, quite the opposite. You can move the console forward a bit but not towards the transom.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

About the HP: those Pangas perform very well in semi planing. The hulls will work very well n semi displacement mode. 10 to 13 knots will be perfect without pushing a big bow wave. They can plane, no problem but the design goal was a semi-displacement hull that will plane too. For that reason, on a PG25, a 90 HP is ideal. A 60 will work only with a very light load. It will have problems to get the boat on plane when loaded.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

serge
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by serge »

Thanks for the reply and answer Jacques.

That's enough to make a decision and get going.

Just need to find the time now.

Serge