Epoxy resin application

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
APLJaK
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Epoxy resin application

Post by APLJaK »

FWIW, I found myself asking the same types of questions at the beginning of my build. With a bit of experience, you will start to find what you prefer and as mentioned abiove, it will probably be slightly different for each different type of application. Don't limit yourself and don't be intimidated. Try some small projects first before laminating large sections. You will quickly find out what considerations you need to make. Temperature, humidty, etc. all play a role in how the job goes. Strive for no air bubbles and no excess epoxy. You will quickly learn how to get there.

Don't mix too much epoxy at a single time. Once it starts to gel and is impossible to apply properly. It also generates tremendous amounts of heat. I got side tracked at one point with a full cup of epoxy which I set down on the hull. By the time I got back to it, the cup was melting into the hull. Luckily, I removed it immediately before I had an epoxy cup welded to my hull. Lost the mix, but thats all. That's a mistake you don't make twice.

Cold temperatures also cause issues. You will find that it is too cold when the epoxy starts to stay on top of the glass and refuses to soak in. Time to stop and go onto a different project. If you're building outdoors this is a real concern. If you're building inside, probably not something you need to think about too much.

wpstarling
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Epoxy resin application

Post by wpstarling »

APLJaK wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:38 pm Don't mix too much epoxy at a single time. Once it starts to gel and is impossible to apply properly. It also generates tremendous amounts of heat. I got side tracked at one point with a full cup of epoxy which I set down on the hull. By the time I got back to it, the cup was melting into the hull. Luckily, I removed it immediately before I had an epoxy cup welded to my hull. Lost the mix, but thats all. That's a mistake you don't make twice.
+1 on this, mix in small batches until you're comfortable with how much epoxy is needed for a given area. It won't take long for you to estimate that you need 6oz of epoxy vs 12, etc. Also, what you're putting the epoxy on matters (plywood vs foam core), they will use different amounts of epoxy, although it's not a huge difference, it is a difference
Boats restored: 1973 Glastron CV16, 1990 Proline 17 CC, 1993 Bass Boat
Boats built: custom 15ft flat bottom skiff, Soon-to-be-built TX18 (originally dborecky's build)