Considering the XF20

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Considering the XF20

Post by fallguy1000 »

I am considering the XF20 for a bay boat.

I want something that can run skinny and into the flats. And I want something I can take 6-12 people to dinner with.

Does anyone know if the boat can be made 10% bigger and what this does to draft?

There is a standing remark about engines on the youtube video. Anyone know what that is about?

Can the boat be made into a side console steer?

Anyone know the dimension or distance from sole to tops of decks?

Can the sheer be raised? I am wondering about raising the sheer enough to make the two decks say 14" steps that double as child benches.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

BarraMan

Re: Considering the XF20

Post by BarraMan »

I am considering the XF20 for a bay boat.
I struggle to put 'extreme flats' and 'bay boat' in the same sentence! :lol:
I want something that can run skinny and into the flats. And I want something I can take 6-12 people to dinner with.
12 people seems like a big ask to do safely. 8O Maybe the XF22 is a better option?
Does anyone know if the boat can be made 10% bigger and what this does to draft?

Most of Jacques plans seem to be able to upscaled by 10%. I did it to the Mangusta 20 hull - and that worked out well. :D I would have thought that draft would be much the same given the increase in the surface area of the bottom. Or just go the XF22!
There is a standing remark about engines on the youtube video. Anyone know what that is about?
Nope - sorry! :doh:
Can the boat be made into a side console steer?
I can't see why not!
Anyone know the dimension or distance from sole to tops of decks?
Can the sheer be raised? I am wondering about raising the sheer enough to make the two decks say 14" steps that double as child benches.
Above my pay grade! :lol:

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I didn't realize there was a 22 footer...

I saw it and I really hate the two triangles behind the fordeck casting bulkhead, but that is changeable I'd say.

I's still like a wee bit of freeboard, but could do it with a grabrail as well.

jonnymac
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by jonnymac »

must really be wrapping up the skoota build if you’re already looking at another boat build 😜. I had to reread your original post because thought you might be joking with the 6-12 people for dinner.

Are these texas flats you are talking about?

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

fallguy as normal with all of Jacques boats once you have the XF22 main deck down you can do about anything you want to as long as you maintain the COG. There is no problem raising the sheer a little that dang boat is so big it is nearly impossible to affect the righting moment or COG without massive movements of weight. Just be careful on how you do it. And be careful it does not like a chop or is it a Bay Boat, it is strictly a Flats Boas kept to inshore waters. Not our where white caps form with waves of 2-3' that a Bay Boat could handle.

If you look at the picture with the T-tom it does not have the two two triangles you hate. :lol:

Well good luck on what to build, Don? forget the St-21's lots of variety there also and while they can't get 4" shallow they can get pretty shallow and have Bay Boat capacity.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

I believe there is a picture from one of the builders meets where 20 men were standing in an XF20. If so 12 in a XF22 is childs play :lol:

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

jonnymac wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:02 pm must really be wrapping up the skoota build if you’re already looking at another boat build 😜. I had to reread your original post because thought you might be joking with the 6-12 people for dinner.

Are these texas flats you are talking about?
Yes. I want a boat for Texas that I can fish the shallows and take people on a nice boat ride that is smaller. But I am wondering if I ought to go a bit deeper draft, so sort of plan shopping. I like the Skoota 18, but draft at 12" is a dealbreaker.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster »

A 22' XF would be a monster and surely would pound like heck in the typical Bay afternoon light chop when running home. Great way to take a bunch of guys to fish skinny though. It would be nice if you could get down here and schedule a few trips out in the bays to get the "lay of the water" feel of the place to help you know what you want. There's guys here that will accommodate you I'm sure.

Dougster

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I think the PH22 is a better direction. I think 8" draft and a jackplate will be the magic.

Dr Pete
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Dr Pete »

Fallguy come check us out in Port A. Matthew has a 20 he’s building. I’ve got my Port A XF 20 in the books here and on the water in PA. Mine has some free wall. Look at wwsmith Texas Flats Xf 22. No free wall. They are all people movers. They are calm or protected water boats. 5 folks for Wade fishing or a nice booze cruise for a
small block party. WW was here this weekend with the 22. Understand you’re looking at Corpus. Welcome to go for a bay ride.