gf16 make it go

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
neophytom
New Poster
New Poster

gf16 make it go

Post by neophytom »

i wanted a boat to carry gold sluice/panning tools upstream. As the North Saskatchewan (most rivers around here) can be shallow in places I chose the gf16. Then i worried about hurting the rocks - what about an outboard jet drive - most of the ones i have seen seem to hang below the keel. (my experience so far has been in canoes) so i considered trying to build in a used jet drive but reading forum etc. led me to understand that might be detrimental to the structural integrity of the boat. Currently i am considering long tail arrangements i have seen online. any thoughts would be appreciated.
Tom

Cowbro
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: gf16 make it go

Post by Cowbro »

How about the Mercury 25hp tiller jet outboard? I am not super familiar with jet outboards, but there are a lot of guys that run them around here on the upper Sacramento river to get through the shallow, rocky areas. They are going to have to hang down below the bottom of the hull just a bit for the pickup, but way less than a conventional outboard or a long tail.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: gf16 make it go

Post by TomW1 »

Hi Tom and welcome to the Forum. A GF16 is perfect with a jet drive is perfect for your uses. Although todays jet drives are heavier than they used to be. I had a friend with a 25HP regular 2ST motor on his GF16 with no problem. So you should not have a problem with the weight of the newer jets. Here is Yamaha's 30 HP output jet https://yamahaoutboards.com/en-us/home/ ... cs-compare It's skid plate is at 19" so will fit fine with the 20" transom depth of the GF16. If you look at the gallery the boats on plane are well out of any danger of damaging the drive. Mercury makes a 25HP jet also. You will just have to look around up there to see what is available.

With the extra weight of this motor and HP you may want to add an extra layer of plywood to the transom, and an extra layer of fiberglass to the bottom to protect it from the rocks. :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978