GV15 above-sole frames with rod holders

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

GV15 above-sole frames with rod holders

Post by BrianC »

I want to add fishing rod (and other stuff) holders to the above-sole side frames. The side decks are going to be about 12" so I have a fair amount of width to deal with. Height is another issue: just 16-18" (and the inwales eat up ~2" of that). Here are a few pictures showing possible layouts. First, one side with hold a pair of fishing rods:

On the other side, I'd like to stow another fishing rod plus a pair of stake out sticks and a paddle:

There will be a slot in a forward bulkhead (that will also support the step-up to the casting deck) to receive the blade of the paddle and the handle would mount in the forward-most side frame.

I was thinking of using ball bungees strapped over the holders to keep stuff from bouncing around:

Have others used ball bungees as hold downs -- do they work OK or is there a better solution?

I'm looking at a layout something like this:

The small hole and slot are to accept the ball bungee. How deep do I need to make the slots for the fishing poles/etc.? How much room do I need to leave above the top-most slot? Lastly, I was thinking of adding a bit of slope to the side decks so water drains outboard --- is a 3° slope enough?
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”
The Wind in the Willows — Kenneth Grahame

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: GV15 above-sole frames with rod holders

Post by TomW1 »

Brian looks nice. Just remember these are structural pieces and must be at least 3" wide from any cut out to the side.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

What about the slope on the side decks? Have others done this and is it useful or am I just adding unneeded complications?
SK14 completed ——— GV15 under construction "...there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.”

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Sure slope them it will help when on the trailer and if you get caught in a rain storm on the water. They will also look better than non-sloped ones. :D

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

I ran across this design on silentneko's FS17 build:

All the others I've seen use slots throughout. Have others done it this way: holes on one end and slots on the other frame(s)?

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man »

here's what I did on the OD18.

I do not need bungies or anything else to keep them in, but I also slow down when it gets nuts. I did not put pvc tubes on the starboard side for the tips, but wish I had to allow for more and longer rods.
Just remember these are structural pieces and must be at least 3" wide from any cut out to the side.
Not necessarily...they need to be wide enough at the top to support the gunwale, and strong enough to hold a fishing rod. Tom, go measure the distance between the cut outs and the sides on the holders Larry built for No Excuse. Bet you don't get 3" 8) .
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid »

Here is what I did on my FS18. They are made from 3 layers of 9mm.
-Reid
FS18 gunwale support 1.jpg
FS18 gunwale support 2.jpg
FS18_deck_4.jpg
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

BrianC
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by BrianC »

Thanks all. I'm going with holes in the first frame and slots in the others laid out to ensure ~3" along the margins. I've also upped the thickness of the ply used from 9 mm to 12 mm.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic »

Just a quick comment on the cutouts.

If a deeper cutout is required then the same strength and stiffness could be added back by a trebling of thickness for every third of depth removed. So a 2” frame can be as stiff as a 3” one as long as you triple the thickness of it. It would be stronger as well.