OD18 Progress

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
PatrickO
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PatrickO »

Thanks for the info. I tho't 2 ga. was a bit much. The other thing is that any product that is labeled "Marine" usually has a non-marine counterpart of equal quality and much less expensive.
I'll check out Home Depot tomorrow.

PatrickO
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Sole installed.

Post by PatrickO »

Got the sole installed today. Pics in my gallery. Have the chase tubes in and six gallons worth of two part foam. The foam was a pain. Seemed like I had to trim about 25% off for the sole to fit properly. Couldn't get it to expand uniformly. I'm sure it's OK, it just didn't look nice and neat. Maybe next boat, I'll pour the foam thru little limber holes after the sole has been installed.

PatrickO
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

OD18 Scupper location

Post by PatrickO »

I am considering locating the scuppers just in front of the rear bulkhead to drain out the side rather than running them out the back. I will also have scuppers in the motor well.
Is there anybody out there that has done this before? If so, did it work OK or were there problems because of it?
Also thinking about a live well in the rear port locker. If that won't work, I'll have to build one in the front of my console.

fishingdan
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fishingdan »

I would put the live well in front of the console. Everyone has said that the ODs like weight up front.

PatrickO
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PatrickO »

OK. I'll locate the livewell in the front of the console.
Still looking for some info regarding the scupper location.
In the meantime, I'll do a search to see what I can find.

PatrickO
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PatrickO »

Just found several msgs regarding scuppers in the sides. JM prefers them but warns about drain marks. I'm not too concerned about drain marks, so it's in the sides for my scuppers.

PatrickO
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Watching glue dry

Post by PatrickO »

OK. Sole is in and glassed. I'm spending more time watching glue dry than anything else. The weather has been cold and wet. If it's not raining, it's cold. Since I have to work outside, it has been a challenge keeping the boat from filling w/water. Have used several tarps attached to the front of my garage like a lean-to and it has worked OK, but I still have to keep an eye on things in case it fills w/water.
Xmas is here now and I wish Santa would bring me some more epoxy. I've noticed that the price for it has either come down or I'm getting used to paying for it. Not sure which. Gonna buy 6 gals. next time. Why not? I'm sure not gonna quit building boats. Just wish I could get used to paying for pl(a)ywood.

Still...... watching glue dry in Archer, FL.

PatrickO
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

More progress.

Post by PatrickO »

Have gotten down to building the bow assys. Installed the transom lockers and got it all glassed w/3 layers of 12 oz tape. I decided against side drains and placed them in the transom. I cut a 2" hole in the transom bulkhead and two 1 1/4" holes in the transom. I think this will work and maybe not swamp the boat.
Aft lockers will hopefully be dry. Built draining lids on both sides that will drain into the motor well.
Installed the fuel tank and the bulkhead in front of it. Got the "casting deck" epoxied together and will install tomorrow. Once I have it all painted, I'll use some 2-part foam to lock the tank in place. It is screwed down via some alum tabs sent w/the tank for that purpose, but with some force I can still move it around. The foam will cure that problem. I'll have to connect the fuel line, filler hose, vent hose, and gauge wires before covering up the fuel tank. If, in the future, access to the fuel tank is necessary, I'll just have to cut some holes.
New pics posted.

Old E.
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Old E. »

If you are still looking for wire, this place will save you a LOT of $$$:

http://bestboatwire.com/

PatrickO
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

I think I screwed up.

Post by PatrickO »

Hi all. More pics downloaded to the gallery.
I'm in a quandry about how to finish my rubrails/sidedecks. I had to raise the rear lockers and matched the siderails to that same elevation. :doh:
Now they are 1/2" above the inside edge of the rubrails. You can see this clearly in the pics I downloaded.
I'm looking for suggestions about how to finish this off and have it look as if I'd planned it. :oops:
I've got everything about ready to install the center console and start fairing the inside. It seems like it's taken forever to get to this point.
Finally got some protection from the elements w/a temp portable shelter. Sure is nice not to have to worry about tarps blowing off or filling w/water from the rain.