Phantom 16 builders

Power Boats only. Please include the boat type in your question.
decal
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Phantom 16 builders

Post by decal »

I launched my ph16 last month and it performed great. It handles better than my old 17' Mako. It took me 6 summers to complete the job but it was well worth the time and money. I'll post pictures soon.

I'm running a 1990 90 hp Mercury with a 17" pitch prop but its slow getting up on plane. Top speed is 35 MPH.

What size engines and what pitch prop are you Phantom owners using on your boats ?

Thanks, decal

caryb
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by caryb »

I have a PH18 with a 90 hp 4 stroke Yamaha. I'm running a 17" pitch prop as well. At WOT I am doing about 42 mph. Hole shot is not a problem at all for me. She pops right up on plane. I even use it to pull the kids skiing. I know there are other with 90's on this hull that do better than I. I'm not certain what pitch prop they are running though.

I have seriously considered trying a 19" inch prop as the motor has no problem reaching max rpm's with the 17".

FWIW, I also have a jack plate on the motor. My guess is that it adds a mph or so to the top end as well.

CaryB

Old E.
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Old E. »

Wow. That seems like a ton of engine for those boats!! 8O I thought they would be going a whole lot faster than that, as light as they are.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

i run a 40 hp with a 17 prop. I prob. get 25 mph

stickystuff
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by stickystuff »

I run a 1998 90Hp Mariner on mine. No Jack plate. I do have a pad and strakes on the bottom of my hull. According to my GPS I am running around 42 MPH. Fast enough and it gets a little squirrely on the pad in the right conditions. have SS 19" Blade.Could actually have a little more cup in the blades. Runs out great.

If you take the specs that show how to figure Horsepower on boats then figure the Ph 16 and you would wet your pants. According to the specs formula the PH16 is rated for 150 HP> No one in their right mind would put a 150 on one of these hulls. I like go fast but wetting the back side of your britches is to much. A 90 is a good HP for this hull as far as I am concerned. They can be pushed with smaller HP engines. Personally I like my 90.
Capt. Ken Owens

A little saw dust, a little glue, and a lot of love, and she will float.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I ran the prototype with a 40, a 50 and a 70.
The 40 gave me almost 40 mph, the 50 = 42 or 43 mph, the 70 well above 45.
The prototype hull was around 700 lbs.
I am suprised that those with a 90 don't go faster. I have two reports of PH16's going well above 50 mph with a 115.
I don't condone that, the boat is not designed top handle those speeds.
40 mph feels very fast in a PH16.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Old E.
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Old E. »

Why the discrepancy? Do homebuilders tend to add more weight?

Coastal Cruiser
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Coastal Cruiser »

The boat runs great with a 50 four stroke Suzuki on it, all that my body could withstand on it in most all year round water conditions..

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

I should add that my boat jumps up on plane very quickly, I think I could move up to a 19 prop and get more top end, but I prefer to have the ability to get on plane in about 2 boat lengths :D

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Old E. wrote:Why the discrepancy? Do homebuilders tend to add more weight?
Yes. Builders add more fiberglass than needed, use more resin and install all kind of nice equipment.
My figures are based on a very simple boat, one crew. The engines were supplied by the OMC test center and perfectly tuned.
At that time, my brother in law was working for the OMC test center 15 miles down the road and they loaned us engines.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com