2013 Southeastern Builders Meet, June13/15, Sebastian FL

Bateau Builders organize and plan their meetings and get-togethers. This is grass roots at its finest, not sanctioned by E-Boat, Inc
tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

2013 Southeastern Builders Meet, June13/15, Sebastian FL

Post by tech_support »

I live close and have spent a lot of time in Sebastian, so I will throw out a couple ideas on locations and amenities and everyone else can "plan". Sebastian is a very laid back place, in the 8 years I have fished there I have only once been stopped by a local police, he wanted to see the boat and reminded me my FL registrations needed a space between the numbers and letters.

places to have the get together:

Sebastian Inlet state park: plenty of parking, boat ramp, pavilions with grills, beach to pull up boats. Accessible by those of us with boats and those who are just coming to meet other builders and see boats. Alcohol is not allowed but is routinely seen. While it is just across the river from all the hotels (mainland) its about 30 drive to get there

Riverfront Park in Sebastian, right next to boat ramp, next to sportsman lodge, maybe a mile or two from all the other places to stay. They have a ton of dock space that is never full, pavilions, grills, bathrooms and parking. Alcohol is not allowed, and they might be strict on it. You can have it on your boat at the dock of course.

Spoil islands: We have many spoil islands that make a for a very nice place to set up a chair and relax. They are not accessible by land (although on several occasions I have seen some people wade out to them with coolers and grill in tow 8O ). Some have picnic tables and one has a rope swing. Pull the boat up on the sand and a have a cold beer after fishing.

Captain Hirams: It would be easy to all meet there, those with boats who do not stay there can pull up on the beach (you should to check to see how much space is available), you can also just pull up, toss out an anchor and jump out the boat and walk to the bar :) Its very shallow and there is no tide to speak of. No matter where you all decide to have the meet, its pretty guaranteed most people will end their nights at hirams. :)

places to stay on the water, with docks.

Captian Butchers: pretty much directly across from inlet, they have some nice condo type units with a nice little basin. I have stayed there several times and love it. They do not have a huge amount of available dockage, most slips are taken by local fishermen. Perfect place for fishermen to stay.

Capt Hirams: Its the party place, live music, bars, restaurant, docks, boat rentals etc.

Sportsman lodge Never stayed there, but is location is great. right next to the municipal docks, boat ramp and park. Its more like a traditional FL fish camp, with little efficiencies.

Sebastian Inlet state park: It over on the barrier island and has camping great facilities right on the water.

Round Island Park: North of inlet on island side, more camping places and pavilions

There are probably some other options, but those are the ones that seem to fit best.

what does everyone think :?: The best thing about these meets IMHO is that they are not over planned, we just need to set the conditions for a good time to happen. As always, these events are not sanctioned in any way by E-Boat, Inc. Jacques and I will be there, and i will bring a boat or two, paddle board, wife and kids.

Doc_Dyer
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: 2013 Southeastern Builders Meet, June13/15, Sebastian FL

Post by Doc_Dyer »

shine wrote:
places to stay on the water, with docks.

Captian Butchers: pretty much directly across from inlet, they have some nice condo type units with a nice little basin. I have stayed there several times and love it. They do not have a huge amount of available dockage, most slips are taken by local fishermen. Perfect place for fishermen to stay.

Capt Hirams: Its the party place, live music, bars, restaurant, docks, boat rentals etc.

Sportsman lodge Never stayed there, but is location is great. right next to the municipal docks, boat ramp and park. Its more like a traditional FL fish camp, with little efficiencies.

Sebastian Inlet state park: It over on the barrier island and has camping great facilities right on the water.

Round Island Park: North of inlet on island side, more camping places and pavilions

There are probably some other options, but those are the ones that seem to fit best.

what does everyone think :?: The best thing about these meets IMHO is that they are not over planned, we just need to set the conditions for a good time to happen. As always, these events are not sanctioned in any way by E-Boat, Inc. Jacques and I will be there, and i will bring a boat or two, paddle board, wife and kids.

NO CAMPING I'm not driving 12 hours to sleep on the ground :roll: :wink: :wink:

I want A/C and a lot of it 8O

I also think like CL that the best part of the meet is everyone in one location, like Boca Grande
that makes the meet OUTSTANDING
. sanded on a canoe, bought a used boat, stayed at a holiday inn last night

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Sportsman would allow most everyone to stay at the same place and see each other. Butchers is small, but nicer. Hirams is also an excellent spot becasue they have a bar, a beach, live music, but we sure will not have the place to ourselves :) BTW, Hirams is only a mile or two down indian river drive, so getting there later is a simple cab ride

NO CAMPING I'm not driving 12 hours to sleep on the ground :roll: :wink: :wink:

I want A/C and a lot of it 8O
I with you, but if someone has the hankering to stay over on the beach side there is the option.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

I forgot, there is also a gas station on the other side of the pavilion, 200 yards form Sportsman Lodge, open 24/7. Its where everyone fuels up and gets ICE.

Doc_Dyer
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Doc_Dyer »

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao »

This
shine wrote: Captain Hirams: It would be easy to all meet there, those with boats who do not stay there can pull up on the beach (you should to check to see how much space is available), you can also just pull up, toss out an anchor and jump out the boat and walk to the bar :) Its very shallow and there is no tide to speak of. No matter where you all decide to have the meet, its pretty guaranteed most people will end their nights at hirams. :)

Along with this
Capt Hiram's is proud to have an award winning Chef like Michael Amaral. Chef Michael has a flare for delicious and beautiful plates featuring fresh seafood caught right off our docks.
Capt Hirams menu
Is a no brainer for me 8) 8)

Doc_Dyer
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Doc_Dyer »

this is what you are looking for in a vacation? :doh:

to each his/her own but not my cup of tea :oops:

I like the low key quite atmosphere of Boca myself

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Hirams is the exception in Sebastian, they call it "Key West Inn" for a reason. It has decent food (there are several better seafood resultants on the river where tie up and grad a bite) and decent bar. Its more like the holiday inn where everyone stayed in the keys.

Sportsman is more in line with the Inlet at Boca grande, but its its less expensive and you don't have to drive 10 miles to get some ice/beer. :)

Good news is we will probably not all fit at sportsman anyway :)

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

They are close to each other.
Captain Hiram's was great 20 years ago when I moved here but now it can be crowded and noisy. The food is OK but not special, Joel has better addresses for local seafood.

The more reasonable prices at Sportsman will attract more of our builders: the Keys and Boca Grande were expensive for people who still have to buy paint and epoxy to finish their boats.
But again, all those places are very close to each other, easy walking distance.

There is another place on the waterfront there but I can't remember the name. I may drive up there next week and check it out.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Doc_Dyer wrote:this is what you are looking for in a vacation? :doh:

to each his/her own but not my cup of tea :oops:

I like the low key quite atmosphere of Boca myself
You can post as many extreme pics from the site as you want, fact is Lary, Dori, Gloria and myself had a real good time there, Joel his wife and kids also visited us along with an other builder (forgot his name :oops: ), As far as I know we all had a great great time, without the stuff (occasional concert) you are highlighting in your post.