2013 Southeastern Builders Meet, June13/15, Sebastian FL

Bateau Builders organize and plan their meetings and get-togethers. This is grass roots at its finest, not sanctioned by E-Boat, Inc
tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: 2013 Southeastern Builders Meet, June13/15, Sebastian FL

Post by tech_support »

they are across the street from the water, if they have some dock privileges with Hirams you would have to drag all your gear back and forth to your rental. They did not even come to mind when I thought of places to stay, with a boat.

the only other place where you can stay on the water and have your boat out the back door is Capt. Butchers ...

http://www.captnbutcher.com/default.aspx?p=lodging

I lived there for a month before moving back to FL, and I have rented a few times since for groups of friends coming into town for fishing trips.

Its smaller though and I doubt we could all stay there, plus there is no facility to have a BBQ, no public dock. IMHO sportsman "checks the most boxes" for what we are after.

Doc_Dyer
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Doc_Dyer »

ok

heres the skinny on things

been researching places Shine listed...

Capt. Butchers has a total of 8 Rooms.... (4) 600 sq foot studio and (4) 1200 sq foot 2 bedroom
there is no facility to have a BBQ, no public dock

Sportsman has 16 Rooms (2) studio....(5) efficiency.....(7) 1 bedroom.....(2) riverfront 1 bedroom
location is great. right next to the municipal docks, boat ramp and park. Its more like a traditional FL fish camp, with little efficiencies.

Capt Hirams has 70 Rooms...(14) main Riverfront rooms....and (4) over the Bar rooms waterfront.....and 52 standard rooms not waterfront.... but possible Group rates and Its the party place, live music, bars, restaurant, docks, boat rentals etc.
. sanded on a canoe, bought a used boat, stayed at a holiday inn last night

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao »

shine wrote:they are across the street from the water, if they have some dock privileges with Hirams you would have to drag all your gear back and forth to your rental. They did not even come to mind when I thought of places to stay, with a boat.
Okay I'm probably missing something then, their map is probably misleading :? they do have some small boats for rent though :doh:

FOR AN ADDITIONAL $55.00 YOU CAN ENJOY THE USE OF OUR 15 FT. MOTORBOATS DURING YOUR STAY (THE WEEK OR ANY PART OF THE WEEK) - THAT INCLUDES THE FUEL!!!

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I have looked at that place a few times from the road and the water. They have one pier but it does not look easy to reach. You have to go through their club house to go to the pier and the docks are all the way at the end. There are fences and limited parking. I am afraid that they would limit access to their tenants. It is not really an hotel, it's an apartment complex that caters to long term renters.
I am surprised to see that they advertise daily rates.

At Captain Hiram's, anybody can access the docks or the beach in front of the bar.

At the public ramp, same easy access but no real beach. Lots of parking at the ramp.

At Sportsman, I don't know of a beach but if Joel asks, I am certain that they will not object to a meeting on their dock.

There is also Mulligan's, a bar/restaurant next to the local yacht club, with a public ramp and lots of parking. Halfway between Sportsman and Cap Hiram's.

If I did not have to go to Miami this week-end, I would go and have a look (son's bike race again).

Joel or I will go on a reconnaissance mission in the very near future and take pictures.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

Okay clear as a whistle, I thought I mentioned it because I thought it could be more economical for bigger family's to rent a house with more bedrooms.

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator »

Just got caught up on the thread.

Please note that all of the following is IMHO...

Sebastian is a place I've never stayed at. Its not as far from my house as Boca or the Keys, so that's a plus. Count us in.

Not so favorable on the party atmosphere. By myself, I'd be fine with it. With the wife, we'd be fine with it...but with 2 small kids, not really ideal anymore :cry:

I don't care much for public dock access. I particularly don't care much for public dock access in the same place that's a party spot. I was young once, best friends kept their Hatteras at the Conch House in St. Augustine. Every Sunday during the summer was Reggae Sunday (giant party). Now just try to visualize a large unruly drunk crowd scattered all over the docks :help:

A place like The Inlet at Boca is the most ideal, in the sense that your boat was basically at your back door and everyone was in the same spot. Not to mention, it felt almost scary-safe there.

I don't care so much about the availability of local eateries. A few nearby is nice, but I don't base my vacation plans around that.

$150 to $200 per night...Now if we could find a place that meets all the above criteria and allows me to use my Hilton or Marriot points, that would be perfect :wink:

We were bummed that we couldn't make it the Keys last year, so we don't want to miss out this year :D
Saved by the Blood of Jesus!
See my XF20 Build Thread

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

I think you have the wrong impression of Sebastian. You are much more likely to encounter a coon on the docks at night. Its super quite place. Capt. Hirams is the only exception, and the part y there does not go beyond 10 yards outside the premises.

I plan to scout out the flats in Sebastian in the next couple weeks. My fishing buddy up there has told me all the seagrass is dead and gone, tough inshore fishing :?

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator »

I think you have the wrong impression of Sebastian. You are much more likely to encounter a coon on the docks at night. Its super quite place. Capt. Hirams is the only exception, and the part y there does not go beyond 10 yards outside the premises.
Sorry if my post was misleading. I know enough about Sebastian to be agree with you. It was just a lot of the posts going back and forth about Hirams that had me concerned.
Saved by the Blood of Jesus!
See my XF20 Build Thread

Doc_Dyer
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Doc_Dyer »

shine wrote: My fishing buddy up there has told me all the seagrass is dead and gone, tough inshore fishing :?

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O

that would suck

almost trip changing suck 8)
. sanded on a canoe, bought a used boat, stayed at a holiday inn last night

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

Yes, if its really bad then we should consider moving location. There are still plenty of people catching fish there, you can see the fishing reports at FL sportsman website, but it might not be a pretty as it used to be.