2013 Central Gulf of Mexico Meeting July 12-14 2013 New Date

Bateau Builders organize and plan their meetings and get-togethers. This is grass roots at its finest, not sanctioned by E-Boat, Inc
Southern Gent
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: 2013 Central Gulf of Mexico Meeting July 12-14 2013 New

Post by Southern Gent »

150 to 200 Cars lined up Saturday morning 07/13/2013 at Gautier City Park. But most stopped at the first pavilion on the left for Annual Spay & Neuter day. Us Bateau Builders staked out a place under the live oaks down by the Boat Launch. Jacques and Son James joined Me about 9:30AM and we set up our Pop-Up tents, unloaded cooking gear and loaded the cooker with drinks. Robbie and Family were out and about getting lead free gas for his boat as I took off to pick up fried catfish at Wayne Lee's grocery & fresh shrimp to boil for lunch.

I arrived back at the Park to find Robbie with children Duncan & Elizabeth sitting with my brother Cris Davis and Jacques and james talking boat stuff. Robbie had a dead battery and they decided to skip fishing and start eating.

We had Fried Catfish poboy sandwiches and I cranked up my boiling pot ( after Brother Cris ran home to get me a fresh propane tank ) which I left at home.

Nort and his camp followers arrived in time to have some lunch.

The Rev. Deacon James Henry LeBatard aka Jim arrived as we were telling boat building stories and a discussion of Biloxi / Pascagoula area boat building history including Jim's grand dad that both built boats and wove cast nets until the age of 95 years old.

Jim being the well rounded fellow, raconteur and a person that would skip a meal if we can't dine well. Found a woman that enjoyed good food in ( Linda aka Mrs. Nort. )

Boat building fell to the rear and restaurants pressed forward.

We gathered around Robbie's boat " First light " for a " Blessing of the Fleet " lead by The Rev. Deacon James Henry LeBatard. Jim quoted line from Longfellows poem The building of a Ship circa 1850 written in Pascagoula MS.

"Build me straight, O worthy Master!
Stanch and strong, a goodly vessel,
That shall laugh at all disaster,
And with wave and whirlwind wrestle!"

and then quoted the New Testament passages most of us know of Jesus calming the seas and directing the Apostles to cast their net on the other side of their boat and their nets were filled beyond capacity. Leading us in the Lord's Prayer we completed our service. Men of Faith were refreshed and I believe " The First Light " might even crank and run good too. There are pictures that Nort or Robbie will post.

We had dinner and sat watching the Thunderhead Clouds build to our east and lightening danced across the sky and to the ground. These Rain cells moved across the marsh along I-10 about 2 miles north of our site. Our Blessed group dined dry on Boiled Shrimp, BBQ Beef Brisket, Home made baked beans with fresh Hamburgers and Hot Dogs and Robbie's favorite local Sausage.

It was 8:30PM when we loaded up our camp site, Hugs all around and new found friends agreed, You missed a good gathering and we will meet again. Bill

robbiro
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by robbiro »

I cannot add much to what Southern Gent has already stated. Apparently the on boat battery charger went bad on me and the nut that sits in the steering seat did not check the lights on the charger to see what it said before I put FIRST LIGHT in the water 8O :oops: :roll: :oops: We did have a great weekend and great friendships were either started or renewed. I can't get my family photogs to sit still long enough to get me the photos that were shot of the weekend. I know Nort had several shot and hope to see his also. Will try to tie the kids down this weekend and post the pics they shot then. I really hope that we can do this again. It was a great time with equal mixture of talk, food and fellowship. Jacques and James, we really appreciate having Y'all coming over and sharing some Mississippi hospitality with us. You are welcome with us anytime you can get here.

Keep on Buildin'

Robbie
32.20.0983N
89.48.0787W
GF-16 FIRST LIGHT finished; D-5 Crusader '08 finished, PY 12 plans in hand

Boater45
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Boater45 »

Where are the pictures???
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=19337
OB17 - Will White, Broken Arrow, OK

peter-curacao
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by peter-curacao »

Yeah pictures or it did never happen :P

robbiro
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by robbiro »

When is the last time you have tried to tie two teenagers down to get anything from them without a large cash prize in the offing. When I get them tied down, I will send pics, shortly I hope :oops:
Robbie
32.20.0983N
89.48.0787W

nort
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by nort »

Here's the proof!

Rev. Jim, First Light, Robbie's boat, Robbie, Jaques, and Bill

Our gathering spot

Jaques and me

"Southern Gent" Bill

Sitting in the twilight after we ate. My daughter, Amanda, Robbie, his wife, Betsy, their daughter and Rev. Jim
The whole group by First Light

robbiro
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by robbiro »

I finally saw our pics this weekend for the first time. We were away from the house and Nort posted almost everything that we have. I will go through them again and see what might be different tomorrow. Too much I-55 highway hypnosis to see straight right now.
A good time was had by all and hopefully we can do it again soon and have more builders and families there the next time.

Keep on Buildin'

Robbie
32.20.0983N
89.48.0787W

peter-curacao

Post by peter-curacao »

That looks like a nice and cozy mini meet. 8)