Page 1 of 1

2014 Texas Builder's Meet July 25-27 @ POC

Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:47 pm
by Mad Dog
Fourth weekend in July 2014. Port O'Connor, Texas

Yes this is very early to put something on the calendar. If I remember correctly the first Texas meet got its start in February and it turned out great so whats a few extra months. Not looking for everyone to commit today but at least we have a target date and SWMBO really likes for me to put my plans on the calendar as early as possible.

We have several builds in the area that are getting near completion and several more under way that stand a good chance to be finished by next July. I have high hopes for a great turn out and lots of boats to ogle.

MD :wink:

Re: 2014 Texas Builder's Meet July 25-27 @ POC

Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:51 pm
by Boater45
I'm in!!!

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:25 pm
by Fishwater
I'd make sure that weekend doesn't coincide with either the POCO Bueno or Cula Roja tournament.

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:17 pm
by mechdave
If we reserve the spaces early it'll be ok. Maybe I can build a tender for the Crossroads by that date. Not likely but it is something on my list.

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:44 pm
by Dougster
I'm in, and I bet it'll be the best one ever.

Still willin' Dougster

Posted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:31 pm
by Fishwater
mechdave wrote:If we reserve the spaces early it'll be ok.
It's not so much finding a place to stay (although that will be an issue) for those tournaments. It's the giant clusterf**k that town turns into.

Edit...based on the dates for this year's tournaments, July 25-27 for next year would not be a conflict.

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:54 am
by willg
Sounds like you boys (and girls) have had some fun down there! I'd love to be a part of that in 2014. And I'd hope to be pulling down my completed PH18 as well.

Will

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:23 am
by AtTheBrink
I'm in!

Posted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:25 pm
by Mad Dog
willg wrote:Sounds like you boys (and girls) have had some fun down there! I'd love to be a part of that in 2014. And I'd hope to be pulling down my completed PH18 as well.

Will
That's a fact! Come on down, with or without the boat? :D

Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:24 am
by vgant
I just put it on my calandar. Maybe will have operational FS18 by then. Seems I'm 20 months into a 6 month project.

Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:03 pm
by Uncle D
You know Julie and I in.

Posted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:04 pm
by Dougster
I just booked room 18. That's a straight shot to dock Nina so maybe I won't wreck the slips :roll:

Wonderin' what stories there'll be to tell this time Dougster

Posted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:16 pm
by Mad Dog
I finally remebered to call and make my reservations at The Inn at Clark's.

Not sure who all will be with me but planning on arriving July 24, and leaving July 27. :D

(Maybe I'll have the Aquasport back together by then :roll: )

Posted: Sun May 25, 2014 1:28 pm
by Steven
I'm. Checking out of Bay tree in Port A on the 26th. May try to swing the night in Port O.

Posted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:30 am
by AtTheBrink
This year i am almost positive i will have finished my boat (God I hope so!) by Meeting time. I will be coming up for the day, not sure which one yet but I will be there.

Posted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:42 pm
by Mad Dog
Steven wrote:I'm. Checking out of Bay tree in Port A on the 26th. May try to swing the night in Port O.

That would be cool Steven. Would love to see all the enhancements on your boat!... and see you and the family again! :D

Posted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:43 pm
by Mad Dog
AtTheBrink wrote:This year i am almost positive i will have finished my boat (God I hope so!) by Meeting time. I will be coming up for the day, not sure which one yet but I will be there.
Your build is looking great! Hope to see you there.

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:48 am
by Uncle D
Haven't been online in forever. I was thinking the meet was in June. Now feels like I'm getting bonus time to finish the boat. Rigging now. Modifying the trailer and putting an engine together. I'll have to update my thread soon. Don

Posted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:46 am
by AtTheBrink
Tio D! Good see you back! Glad to hear you are rigging your boat. I hope to have mine in the water within 2 weeks. We are still in a race!

Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:51 pm
by Mad Dog
Just spent a couple weeks on vacation with my family. Pretty much disconnected from everything and got a much needed attitude adjustment (changes in latitude, changes in attitude :D ) but now it's time to get back on line. With a little over three weeks before the meet I thought I would start an attendance list.

Just quote (strip out the text above) this post and add your name

Mad Dog + 1 bringing the Aquasport

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:32 am
by Steven
I'll be a last minute decision on Saturday. We have checkout by 11 in Port A. Depending on how week goes, we may swing over for a night if I can find a room.

Regards,
Steven

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:27 pm
by Dougster
[quote=
Just quote this post and add your name

Dougster + 1 bringing LB22

MD :wink:[/quote]

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:30 pm
by AtTheBrink
Dougster wrote:[quote=

AtTheBrink +1 bringing FX18

[/quote]

Posted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:19 pm
by Mad Dog
Steven wrote:I'll be a last minute decision on Saturday. We have checkout by 11 in Port A. Depending on how week goes, we may swing over for a night if I can find a room.

Regards,
Steven

Hey Steven, hope it works out for you to swing by. Try this location for a room: http://www.thepocolocolodge.com/default.php

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:29 am
by Uncle D
JulIe and I booked a room. Bringing the boat too. Looking forward to seeing everyone again. C'Ya there.

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:14 pm
by AtTheBrink
I will be up Saturday to fish and hang out for awhile. Maybe have beer or two.

What time are you guys planning on showing up Friday?

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:32 pm
by Mad Dog
AtTheBrink wrote:I will be up Saturday to fish and hang out for awhile. Maybe have beer or two.

What time are you guys planning on showing up Friday?
I'm planning to arrive Thursday. I have not fished yet this summer so I plan to get a few days in on this trip.

Posted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:38 pm
by Mad Dog

AtTheBrink + 1 bringing FX18
UncleD + 1 and a sweet PH18

Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:57 pm
by swglenn

Swglenn + 1 Working on a PH16 currently installing bulkheads. I will be boatless unless I can convince my son to bring his Shallow Sport.

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:55 pm
by vgant
swglenn wrote:Just quote this post and add your name

Swglenn + 1 Working on a PH16 currently installing bulkheads. I will be boatless unless I can convince my son to bring his Shallow Sport.
VGant + 1( Tentative ) Still waiting final approval from SWMBO. Is there a schedule of events? FS18 still under construction and no trailer yet. (30 months into a 12 month project :o ) Likely boatless unless I can get trailer fixed for my Shallowcraft by then. Really like to meet y'all and see your boats.

Posted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:34 pm
by Mad Dog
No particular schedule. At least three boats on site. Should be plenty of room for anyone who wants to fish.

Back to Clark's mid afternoon for rest and refreshment then start preparing the food. Eat when it's ready, tell stories, take pictures, ogle boats and whatever else sounds good. :D

Could have a good sized group this year. Looking forward to seeing the old salts and meeting new ones!

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:15 am
by swglenn
Is there any food I should bring or anything you need for food?

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:15 pm
by jacquesmm
Chuck Weinberger from Duck Boats wants to come by and say hello. He lives close to the TX meeting and is a friend of bateau.com since years.
is the last address and meeting time correct?

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:52 pm
by Mad Dog
jacquesmm wrote:Chuck Weinberger from Duck Boats wants to come by and say hello. He lives close to the TX meeting and is a friend of bateau.com since years.
is the last address and meeting time correct?
That would be great Jacques. Still in Port O'CONNER at Inn at Clark's. Dates are firm.

Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:00 pm
by Mad Dog
swglenn wrote:Is there any food I should bring or anything you need for food?
Time to start the meal planning. I recommend a Cajun boil but everything is on the table. Let's start the list. I have a boiling and deep fryer.

Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:07 am
by Dougster
I'll bring a by now traditional smoked pork butt and sauce to round things out. Sounds like we're gonna have a good group. I'll be there Friday afternoon.

Looking forward to it Dougster

Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:30 am
by Prarie Dog
Is there anything we can pickup to ease the way?? Looks like we'll be in on Friday to Sargent and will attend Saturday.

Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:31 pm
by Mad Dog
Prarie Dog wrote:Is there anything we can pickup to ease the way?? Looks like we'll be in on Friday to Sargent and will attend Saturday.
I would say anything you you want bring. As you can tell we are pretty loosely organized this time.
I'm just jazzed about the chance see you guys again! :D

Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:35 pm
by Prarie Dog
Thanks, Mad Dog, we'll bring some food and drinks, looking forward to seeing you guys again!! Planning on bringing the Popping Cork, though she's a little worse for wear after almost four years of steady use. :D

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:57 pm
by Dougster
Great you're coming PDog, it's been too long. I bought the pork butt today. Will bring sauce and tortillas. Maybe Friday afternoon say 5:00 or so we can try to meet with folks who are there. Shirley and I plan to eat out that night at one of the simple places, like Josie's or Cathy's so anyone who's there and so inclined can join us. MadDog you are going Thurs. I think so you'll have had a day on the water and we'll be interested in how it went. You'll either know where they are or where they aren't :D We can figure who's riding with who, etc. The wind looks better on Friday than Thurday, but tolerable on Sat. Dunno about offshore. Put fresh line on my reels. Went all out and had my rods repaired. Had my prop repitched to from 12" to 10". Got a haircut. Am ready for fun.

Feels a good time comin' Dougster

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:54 pm
by Cracker Larry
That sounds like a good time. Yall have fun :D

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:54 pm
by Prarie Dog
Looking forward to seeing you and your build Dougster. It's looking like a good time.

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:16 pm
by Mad Dog
Dougster, Mad Dog and SWMBO will arrive Thursday. Hope to get in on the evening bite. Been watching the wind forecast too. Friday looks like the day to try the Gulf. Given the sea breezes we should be in mid afternoon. Supper out sounds good... catching up, planning, story telling. Got some pictures from Hawaii to show off. :D

If our fellow attendees will chime in with their arrival times and what they may bring for the cookout that would be appreciated. Not concerned, these things always turnout fine. :D

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:18 am
by swglenn
My wife and I will arrive Friday afternoon about 2:30 PM for room checkin unless there is a reason to be there earlier.We are bringing crawfish/shrimp etoufee with rice and a dessert for Saturday night. Are there any other non fishing wives attending? She likes to fish if it isn't too hot or too cold or if I don't stay out too long.

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:59 pm
by Mad Dog
swglenn wrote:Are there any other non fishing wives attending? She likes to fish if it isn't too hot or too cold or if I don't stay out too long.
SWMBO fits that description. She also knows where to get a mani-pedi in POC so bring extra cash. :lol: If anyone else rides along with me my wife will opt for a spa day. :roll:

Yummmm.. etoufee

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:52 pm
by Steven
What time will get together be on Saturday?

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:54 am
by Dougster
The wind and heat will have me off the water by mid afternoon. I'm guessing by 5:00 most of us will be showered, gabbing, and having a cool one, thinking about laying out the food. You can call me on my cell to check things out. Two, one, zero, then try either two, one, eight, seven five nine five or try four, one, five, one, one, eight, three. Lookin' forward to seeing you.

Gearing up Dougster

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:13 am
by AdamG
I MIGHT be able to sneak out there for Sunday AM..maybe. We shall see.

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:38 pm
by Mad Dog
So when you guys finally show up I'll show you pics and filets of the fish we caught this morning. :lol: Team Mad Dog up by 4.

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:35 pm
by t-dog 21
The Pennell clan is busting bugs outside of Houston. We will be coming over to POC tomorrow morning, and we're wondering if anybody is bringing a grill or if there is one to use at Clark's. We have brought homemade deer brats for the cook out as well as some backstrap and loin.

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:55 pm
by Mad Dog
Hey T. There is a charcoal grill at Clark's . VGANT is grilling too and bringing brickettes. You guys keep being safe.

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:00 pm
by t-dog 21
Thanks, we expect a full fishing report so we can get rite into the action tomorrow morning.

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:02 pm
by Mad Dog
Dougster, SWGLENN , Mad Dog and our better halves just finishing supper at Cathy's. Good food, stories, and laughs. Wish ya'll were here.

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:04 pm
by Mad Dog
t-dog 21 wrote:Thanks, we expect a full fishing report so we can get rite into the action tomorrow morning.

Check out my post on the fishing thread in Anything Else.

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:33 pm
by Mad Dog
t-dog 21 wrote:Thanks, we expect a full fishing report so we can get rite into the action tomorrow morning.

Check out my post on the fishing thread in Anything Else.

Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:49 pm
by Mad Dog
So far we got a look at Dougster's LB22 and UncleD's Phantom. Very impressive and turning lots of heads. Great work gentlemen! :D 8)

Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:29 pm
by duckworks
I want to thank you guys for letting me crash your party. I had a great time and I am always happy to meet new boatbuilders.
I have a couple of pictures to post, but I can't figure out how to upload them - any of you guys know how that is done?

Chuck

Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:40 pm
by Mad Dog
Hey Chuck, sure was nice to meet you. Hope you had a safe trip home and looking forward to the boat show in October. :D

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:00 am
by swglenn
We had a great time this weekend. The best thing was meeting a lot of wonderful people. Their husbands weren't too bad either. Seriously Dougster, Mad Dog, Uncle D, VGANT, and Prairie Dog are great people.

The Dougster is becoming a nautical rock star in that LB22. Every place that boat goes people are admiring and asking about it. This all happened at a serious fishing spot where two out of three boats are serious tower and flats monsters with 250 and 300 hp motors that scorch the water at 60-70 mph. The LB22 has a 30 hp motor and tops out at 18 mph and they were still admiring it.

Mad Dog's boat has rebuilt his boat into an awesome fishing machine. He went out 25 miles into the GOM catching kingfish one day and the next day he is anchored on a flat and is out wade fishing. It does it all.

Uncle D had his brand spanking new PH18 custom tunnel and sponson equipped boat with him. He put the first fish slime on it this weekend. I owe him a bunch for letting me fish with him. I am building a PH16 and being able to see how he built his boat and how well it fished was great. It has really given me a boost in wanting to finish mine by next year.

Saturday evening's dinner was great. Mad Dog boiled up shrimp, potatoes, and corn. Dougster had his famous smoked pork butt and tortillas, VGANT had some great ribs, Prairie Dog brought sausages from Colorado, we brought a crawfish/shrimp etoufee with rice. Desserts were a chocolate turtle cake and some tremendous dark chocolate almond cookies. One unamed person was seen scooping up chocolate turtle cake with the chocolate cookies. There was plenty of food for all.

The location was the best. Clark's Inn is right on the ICW and has a canal back to the hotel. You dock your boat right behind your room. The inn is raised up on piers and you park your trailer and car in the shade directly below your room. The cool Gulf breeze made it a really nice place to have dinner underneath the rooms in the shade. We could sit and eat and see the boats at the same time.

The Bateau community is one of the best thing about building your own boat. We are already looking forward to next year.

SWglenn and Judy

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:18 am
by Noles309
Lets see some pics...

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:56 am
by tech_support
sounds like a great meet. Looking forward to the pictures 8)
any of you guys know how that is done?
Hi chuck :) tho upload pictures you create a new gallery, or you can use a photo sharing like photo-bucket and link to it

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:05 pm
by duckworks
Thanks, Joel!

Here are some of the pictures I took - you guys will have to help me identifying them:

This, of course, was the potluck dinner and naturally almost everyone's back is to the camera. At least I got Glynn.

Chuck

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:35 pm
by Dougster
It's fun to see those pics Chuck, thanks for posting 'em. I'm glad you made it over there and happy to meet you and find out we're dang near neighbors. Mrs. Dougster and I had a great time. Fishing was tough, but no matter. Nina still got her first fish, a gafftop. UncleD said "boy you really slimed her" :lol: I have to give special thanks to Glenn for helping both launch and retrieve my ride. He immediately realized the ramp wasn't gonna work, talked up a nearby guy to find a better one a couple miles down, and off we went. I "S" backed her part way down, Dougster style :roll: , climbed in, and he backed me down straight. Then he ran back to the slip and caught me before I took the dock out. The next day I managed to get her in the slip alone, to my great amazement. Then he waited around Sun. morning to help me load her back on. Big thanks to you Glenn. Good water, good place to stay, good food, and great folks. Friday, puttering in to the slip, someone going by the other way in another boat shouted over "is that an inboard or an outboard :doh: ". I made a "so so" gesture with my hand and said "she's bi".

Sure had fun Dougster

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:15 pm
by Aripeka Angler
Looks like you guys had a great time :) The boats look awesome, please post more pics when you get time.

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:50 am
by wegcagle
Great pictures. Looks like you guys/gals had a blast. On a side note, I think the Poppin' Cork maybe wins the contest for number of builders meets attended :D You guys are awesome 8)

Will

BTW Dougster, I shot coffee out of my nose as I was reading this :lol:
Friday, puttering in to the slip, someone going by the other way in another boat shouted over "is that an inboard or an outboard :doh: ". I made a "so so" gesture with my hand and said "she's bi".

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:55 pm
by Steven
Really wanted to come by and hang out, but we'd have been there at 11 on Saturday and then had to drive home overnight after hanging out all day. Just wasn't in the cards this time. Sounds like you guys had a good time. Would have loved to see the boats. Next year.

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:11 am
by Mad Dog
Just got my a few more pic uploaded

UncleD bringing it in:

Dougster on the bay

How many rods does one fisherman need?

At least one more! :D

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:46 am
by Uncle D
Julie and I had a blast. This wasn't the first time on the water but first time fishing in it. My friend Louis, Glenn and I hit the water Sat. Morn. We caught trout and made a long run. Defiantly need a prop. Can't get the bow up. The faster we go the flatter it ran almost to the point of plowing. I plan to swap power heads at some time. Then we'll fit a proper prop. As it was we got 32 at about 5000 rpm. After fishing, it was food and fellowship. The big surprise for me was seeing Paul, Alisha and T. T's not a pup anymore. Really good to see you guys and meeting Grandpa and Grandma. We meet new friends too. The meet had more new faces this year. As always looking forward to the next time.

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:34 pm
by Prarie Dog
Wanted to tell everyone thanks for a good time at the meet and thank the guys that took pics. We had a real good time renewing old friendships and meeting the new folks. I don't think I was there long enough to remember the new folks but when I see you next year I'll recognize you and you can tell me your name again. :doh:

Uncle D and Dougster did a great job on their builds, would have liked a ride in both but didn't have the time this year, maybe next year. We only had about a 5 day lead time on knowing we could come this year, hopefully next year'll be different and we will be able to stay at Clarks and hang out.

Good Job to the guys for putting it together.