2015 Southeast Builders Meet - Homosassa, FL Oct. 2-4, 2015

Bateau Builders organize and plan their meetings and get-togethers. This is grass roots at its finest, not sanctioned by E-Boat, Inc
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 2015 Southeast Builders Meet - Homosassa, FL Oct. 2-4, 2

Post by jacquesmm »

I clearly prefer the campground because I can bring my 5th wheel (2 bedrooms, 2 baths . . clean etc.)
Ken also has a motorhome.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator »

I can go either way, hotel lodging or campground, since we also have a trailer. However, I'll absolutely refuse to stay in a dump :wink: nor will I even encourage that there be a group gathering there. I'm going to go to both places and see what the current situation is with their cabins.

The more research I've done, the more I believe that the 3 places already mentioned is about the best we could do as far as having room for a group. Seems like there are lots of little boutique hotels, several campgrounds, and tons of rental houses. But the area seems to be lacking in hotels/resorts that could handle 5-10 families that want to stay together.
Saved by the Blood of Jesus!
See my XF20 Build Thread

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I agree, the place must be clean and nice. I do not know that campground or the other places. I'll try to find reviews online but a personal visit would be great.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Riverside resort and Macrae have decent reviews on TripAdvisor. Macrae looks nice: old Florida.
The campground has mixed reviews on RVnet. They say it's crowded.

I may go camping in that area this spring and visit the places too.

Aripeka Angler
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Aripeka Angler »

I have spent quite a little time researching places to stay on the Homosassa river.
The three places, of which Seth posted the links of, are pretty much all there is to choose from.
We need to put an eyeball on the places pretty soon.
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

stickystuff

Post by stickystuff »

I live just 20 min. away from Homosassa. Its a beautiful place but for the weekend angler it can be a real cluster %$@#*. The boat ramp and parking can be ungodly. There is a new Hampton Inn on Hwy 19 just North of Homosassa. It is between Crystal River and Homo. As far as convenience and lack of congestion Plantation is actually more convenient. The trip to the Gulf at Homosassa can be trajic on lower units. Best bet is to follow a local out to the mouth of the river.Riverside marina on the other side of the river has a nice launching area also.There is a campground just to the North of the state park on Halls River Road. It has a boat ramp also. Not to shabby of a place. I will do a drive through and give a report with the name ,rates etc.The state park is a very cool place to visit. Prices went up since I last went. $15 for adults can't remember what for the kids. Has underwater viewing platform. The snook in the winter are there by the thousands. as well as Jacks, redfish mullet etc. The spring tarpon fishing can be awsome. Just to the South of the river is Chazowitchka. Also what is called the Oklahoma flats. All the big name guides come up here for the spring tarpon run. Usually in May. I will also do some info scouting and report. :doh:
Capt. Ken Owens

A little saw dust, a little glue, and a lot of love, and she will float.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

I have good memories of our meeting at Crystal River except for the food.
The area is very nice.

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

Yes, it is an excellent location except for the food and the attitude of the management. That first year when they insisted on catering our cookout, that was the worst food I've ever paid money not to eat 8O Green hamburgers and such. Worse than Jacques' pickled herring, and that's saying something :help:

The next year when we did the cookout at the park, it was great 8) Nothing wrong with Crystal River, except can't cook out on their grounds at Plantation.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

SmokyMountain
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by SmokyMountain »

Just now saw the boat meet postings. I'll do my best to get there!! That's the 1st weekend of our fall break and was planning on heading south for some fishing anyway... Works great for me. Prefer some place with cabins too, because I won't have room for the extra camping gear. 8)

Andy

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

I'm pretty much good with anything except camping. I don't have a camper and the Mrs isn't into tent camping :lol:
I have run CR and Homosassa several times and I don't see a lot of difference in their motor munching characteristics.
If you stay in the channel in the river, you won't have any drama.
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146