2015 Southeast Builders Meet - Homosassa, FL Oct. 2-4, 2015

Bateau Builders organize and plan their meetings and get-togethers. This is grass roots at its finest, not sanctioned by E-Boat, Inc
stickystuff
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: 2015 Southeast Builders Meet - TBD

Post by stickystuff »

Believe me, you don't want to get in the madhouse of scallopers. First off you won't find a room. Second I have seen the line to launch that would stretch at least 1/2 mile to wait to launch. Then you have to park another 1/2 mile away.It ain't no picnic. You think that weekend people who don't have a clue about boat and launching, then just come on down and just sit and watch the fools. :lol:
Capt. Ken Owens

A little saw dust, a little glue, and a lot of love, and she will float.

crackedconch
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by crackedconch »

stickystuff wrote:Believe me, you don't want to get in the madhouse of scallopers. First off you won't find a room. Second I have seen the line to launch that would stretch at least 1/2 mile to wait to launch. Then you have to park another 1/2 mile away.It ain't no picnic. You think that weekend people who don't have a clue about boat and launching, then just come on down and just sit and watch the fools. :lol:
I'll second that!!

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator »

stickystuff wrote:Believe me, you don't want to get in the madhouse of scallopers. First off you won't find a room. Second I have seen the line to launch that would stretch at least 1/2 mile to wait to launch. Then you have to park another 1/2 mile away.It ain't no picnic. You think that weekend people who don't have a clue about boat and launching, then just come on down and just sit and watch the fools. :lol:
You can classify them into 3 groups of people (in order of most to least):
1)those in a huge hurry, forgetting steps for launching the boat, driving too fast in the parking lot, leaving things behind in the truck, etc.
2)those who are painfully slow and ignorant, usually the ones who wait until they've backed the boat down before they start loading it
3)those who have it all under control and do (mostly) everything right. These are few and far between because they've usually made plans to avoid the madhouse.

Ken, you're right about finding a place to stay. A couple of months ago, I called down to Camp N Water campground to try and make a reservation for one weekend (fri-sun) during scallop season. I wasn't picky about which weekend, but it didn't matter...NO AVAILABLE SPOTS! The very nice lady informed me that reservations during scallop season need to be made more than a year in advance. WOW 8O
Saved by the Blood of Jesus!
See my XF20 Build Thread

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support »

ha :lol: One of the best times to launch here is about 5:00 am on a weekend. At that time the ramp near the inlet is super busy, but everyone knows exactly what they are doing and they want to get out fishing (and they are sober)

Aripeka Angler

Post by Aripeka Angler »

majorgator wrote:
wadestep wrote:Alright, lets narrow it down to October 3 and 4th or November 7and 8th at Homosassa. What say you?
I like the idea of October 3-4. Usually, the fish haven't yet moved into the creeks and rivers and there's little chance that we'll have cold weather. Its likely to be nice and comfortable. The scallopers will have moved out, but it'll be before the snowbirds move in. Its far enough away from Thanksgiving and Christmas that folks won't be conflicted by their holiday schedules.

November is OK, but the more I think about it, the more I like October better.

I sure missed getting to the meet this year :?
October 3rd/4th sounds good to me 8) Homosassa is great location for a get together.
Richard
Completed boats...XF20 "Red Alert", Aripeka Angler's Strip Canoe, FS18 “Bare Bones”, GF12
Currently building...PY12 Kayak
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. - Loren Eiseley
Bare Bones build thread...
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62146

cottontop
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by cottontop »

We haven't been to a meet for several years. The October dates you mentioned would be great for Shella and I. I would love to see everyone again. Living in Ocala, Homosassa is super convenient for us. Haven't seen a post from Cracker Larry yet? John

Cracker Larry

Post by Cracker Larry »

I'll be there John, as long as I'm still on the green side of the grass :D
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Noles309
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Noles309 »

Cracker Larry wrote:I'll be there John, as long as I'm still on the green side of the grass :D
Ha, I know you don't have any green grass left....I just mowed this weekend though :x Wish we could get a little frost to make it dormant...
Gary
GF-16 Completed

majorgator
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by majorgator »

Sounds like we have enough interest to firm it up. Haven't seen Joel or Jacques commit yet.

Unlike Boca, there's a plethora of places to stay that are all close together, affordable, and about as good as the next place. Like Boca, there are a few places that could provide lodging for the entire group.

I think there's really 2 good options here:
1)everyone stay at the same place
2)find a central place for a group meeting/dinner and let everyone stay wherever they want.
Saved by the Blood of Jesus!
See my XF20 Build Thread

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Sounds like we have enough interest to firm it up. Haven't seen Joel or Jacques commit yet.
We will be there. I like that area and the dates work out fine.
Joel should be there too.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com