FS12 - July 2012 - Jerry In Maine

Post your launchings, and post-launch adventures here. Please keep the to plan/date format.
Jerry In Maine
Active Poster
Active Poster

FS12 - July 2012 - Jerry In Maine

Post by Jerry In Maine »

Finally got my FS12 in the water after about 18 months. Worked on this a lot down in the basement during the winter.

Stayed to the plans with the exception of adding a breasthook - and this was just to give me a place to mount nav lights and a pennant mast. I also a small "shelf" on each side to mount cleats (cleats were not mounted yet when these pics were taken).

Hull was primed with S3 High-Build Yacht primer. Over that I used Sherwin Williams "Porch and Floor" Paint in satin finish. Bottom has 4 coats of resin/graphite mix. That SW satin finish has a very nice luster.

I have flotation under each seat. I took about 20 milk jugs total and after rinsing, drying and sealing the lids on with silicone sealant I glued them to the hull. I then poured in enough two-part flotation foam to completely cover them once it expanded.

I built the boat for two reasons...one is that I collect vintage outboards and am a member of a local chapter of the nat'l Antique Outboard Motor Club, Inc - so I need a platform to run my engines on. Another reason is that I plan to build a larger sailboat than I have now and wanted some practice prior to starting that project up.

The engine shown is a '62 British Seagull and it'll push the FS12 and two good sized people at about 7 mph, which is fine for the type of "putt-putt" boating that I do. I'm anxious to try one of my larger motors though.

I've had the boat in the water twice so far, and each time it's drawn the attention of onlookers asking "you really built that??" and making comments like "that's the nicest little boat that I've seen in a long time!", so I guess I did OK :D The hull is smooth if I do say so myself...I can't find a hint of a seam or joint anywhere. I really fussed over the fairing process and now that I see the results I'm glad that I did.

Last edited by Jerry In Maine on Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seadation
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: FS12 - July 2012 - Jerry In Maine

Post by Seadation »

Hello Jerry,

You've done a VERY nice job. The boat looks great! The antique outboard is neat too.

/david

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm »

Nice color scheme and I love that Seagull outboard.
Congratulations.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://boatbuildercentral.com

Irish
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Irish »

Hi Jerry,
Beautiful finish. What colour did you use on the interior and is the S.W. paint the alkyd or acrylic latex :?: .

Jerry In Maine
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Jerry In Maine »

The exterior color is "Shamrock Green" and the interior is "Universal Khaki". Both cans read "Interior Exterior Latex" and they go for ~$20 a quart. The interior color is easy on the eyes in bright sun, the satin finish helps too. Another advantage of the satin finish is that touch-ups are nearly invisible. Just dab a bit on the scratch with a foam brush and no one will know.

I thin them with a bit with water and spray 3 coats with an HVLP gun. With HVLP I don't need dropcloths since there's little to no overspray.
Last edited by Jerry In Maine on Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jerry In Maine
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Jerry In Maine »

jacquesmm wrote:Nice color scheme and I love that Seagull outboard.
Congratulations.
I've got a "flock" of British Seagulls...five I think - maybe six. Not very fast but lots of torque.
Have a 100cc "Century" Seagull on the bench waiting assembly that I'm anxious to try. Heck, I might hit 9 mph with it!
It's also nice because it has a clutch.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Nice. Clean. Congratulations! 8)

thb
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by thb »

Very nice job on the boat. She is beautiful. Looks like you built it nice and light. What's next? :lol:

Regards
Tom in Steinhatchee :)

Jerry In Maine
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Jerry In Maine »

thb wrote:Very nice job on the boat. She is beautiful. Looks like you built it nice and light. What's next? :lol:

Regards
Tom in Steinhatchee :)
Either the Cat Ketch 17 by Bateau or the Core Sound 17 by B & B Yachts. Can't decide which one would be best for me, but it'll be one or the other.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Near Casco Bay?