wegcagle GV15

Post your launchings, and post-launch adventures here. Please keep the to plan/date format.
TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: wegcagle GV15

Post by TomW1 »

Will nice to be able to go fishing with your dad with a boat you have built. Nice fish he caught. :D

When your ready to change your prop let me know and I'll run the numbers through my prop calculators. Your right in that you are running to small a prop right now. Just keep the rpm's below the motor's listed high rpm's and you will be fine. Like Larry's GF18 that he built for his client there are numerous props that can work for you. You probably have a 3 blade on now and we ended up with a 4 blade for Larry. Well until your ready enough for now.

Regards Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Fonda@kauai
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fonda@kauai »

Nothing like going fishing with Dad. Doing it in boat you built yourself-priceless
So awesome 8) Reminds me of going striper fishing with my dad when I was just a lil guy :D
Aloha

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

For me the 50 is about as perfect as it gets. The only thing I don't like is the hole shot. I have always been a 2 stroke guy, and was really surprised by the difference. That being said it's so quiet running that more than once I've accidentally tried to crank an idling motor. I'll take the lack of noise over the lack in hole shot. I'm certainly not entering this boat in any drag races :lol:

In all honesty I have played with the motor a little (removed the air restriction plate and then got a buddy to run the numbers to make sure the ECU adjusted the gas flow to compensate for the extra air). Now it's basically an F60 hp yammi. This has definitely improved the hole shot, and given me a couple extra mph in the bank if needed. The cost is a smidge more gas used. This is why I am currently under propped. I think a smaller motor would be fine, but may struggle to get over the wake when fully loaded. I wouldn't get a significantly larger motor (not more than 60hp). A big part of the reason I chose to build this was the light weight and smaller motor requirements.

Thanks Tom! I will definitely need your help. I know minimal about prop selection, and would really appreciate the help.

Thanks Fuzz and Fonda. It was absolutely a day to be remembered :D

Will

GV15, D4 done! Dreaming about the next one

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 »

Beautiful job and congratulations on the launch! :D 8) 8) 8)

More pictures and movies to follow? How about video in more of a chop? Sure looks smooth in that first video! :D

Wishing you many shared trips of rewarding boating. Nice striper! A great memory. :D

GuyP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by GuyP »

Beautiful from the interior shots posted. I love the console. She looks “factory” finished. What paint system did you use?

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

Thanks for the complement! It’s certainly more of a 20 +foot finish in person :D

I used S3 primer, and Interlux Perfection for the top coat. Then for the flooring I used Kiwigrip. That stuff is the best investment I’ve made in the boat!

After a few years she still runs flawlessly (except the dang radio doesn’t work anymore...) It’s huge and stable for a 15’ boat. The kids LOVE kneeboarding and tubing behind it, and the 50hp Yammi is perfect on the boat. I pulled the air restrictor plate out (basically making it a 60hp), and she catapults onto plane. Max speed is in the low/mid 30s mph, but she is happier in the mid to upper 20s. Gotta admit though that I’ve tossed a round the idea of selling it to a neighbor, and building a bigger boat (family of 5 is a squeeze).

Will

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz »

You know the drill. Build the next boat first then sell this one. You will not be happy being without a boat while building :wink:

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

Sad day for me, but really excited for the new owner and his grandson! I said goodbye to the ole GV15 today. She was awesome to us, and I know she’ll take care of her new family. Sure didn’t take long to sell. :D They got a good deal and a fantastic boat. Right people, right time, and right price.

Good news is that a friend of the family gave me a 20’ mako that I can use and maintain as long as I want. Only caveat is that once his son gets done in the military it goes back to him. Told the man it’ll be a flawless and upgraded boat by then. My way of saying thank you for his service :D

Sad day for me, but really excited for the new owner and his grandson! I said goodbye to the ole GV15 today. She was awesome to us, and I know she’ll take care of her new family. Sure didn’t take long to sell. :D They got a good deal and a fantastic boat. Right people, right time, and right price.

Good news is that a friend of the family gave me a 20’ mako that I can use and maintain as long as I want. Only caveat is that once his son gets done in the military it goes back to him. Told the man it’ll be a flawless and upgraded boat by then. My way of saying thank you for his service :D

http://gallery.bateau2.com/displayimage ... fullsize=1

Will

Grit19
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Grit19 »

So you will start a PH18 build too?? That might be done when the other guy finishes his service....
There ain’t no ride like this in Disneyland!

wegcagle
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by wegcagle »

My perfect boat would be the FL26 but with a bottom shape and powerhouse closer to DE23/25. I am crazy in love with the lines of FL26, but my requirements are 4-8 (8 crazy max) people. Usually 3 kids and 2 adults. Lake cruising 95% of the time and able to pull skiers/wakeboards/etc. Crusing first, Fishing secondary.

I’ll probably go with either NV23 with a bracket more of an express style top sides on one extreme or go “all in” on LB26.

Either way it’s gonna be a while before I get started.

Just dreamin’
Will