PG 25, July 2017, PangaRon

Post your launchings, and post-launch adventures here. Please keep the to plan/date format.
PangaRon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: PG 25, July 2017, PangaRon

Post by PangaRon »

fallguy1000 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:48 am I don't profess any expertise here.

Only questions.

Why would you scupper below the scum line on any boat?

I thought the point of the scupper was to allow water, like rain water, to exit the hull, not only when he is on plane.

Ron-accept my apologies here, but I don't think your boat should be wet!!
That is the "million dollar" question! I posted that picture of a dirty boat for exactly that reason. To be clear, it does drain perfectly when the boat is on plane. It's when I'm standing still: loading, drifting, landing fish etc. that the stern fills, once I'm underway again, it's dry as bone.

nightcrawler
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by nightcrawler »

Easy solution is drain to the bige and redundant bilge pumps. Not ideal but quick and easy. Make's you a little uneasy for long runs offshore ;depending on pumps but not as uneasy as swamping if your motor fails

fallguy1000
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by fallguy1000 »

Just go and buy some 25 pound or 50 pound bags of pea gravel and put 300 pounds as far forward as practical and see if the scuppers are out of the water.

If not, phooey on those scuppers, close them in and make a pump well or two.

No way would I want all that saltwater in n out all the time. I have visions of tackle and gear getting wrecked early and lotsa corrosion on terminals and fastenings.

Raising the sole and scuppers some 3" is not really sensible anymore.

One pump can be setup as automatic and the other can be a backup if needed. It is always a good idea to source two pumps of the sand kind because oftentimes an impeller clog can be trouble and you can swap a pump on the same base in a couple minutes if setup right.

Those scuppers are simply too low.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

PangaRon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PangaRon »

fallguy1000 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:45 pm Just go and buy some 25 pound or 50 pound bags of pea gravel and put 300 pounds as far forward as practical and see if the scuppers are out of the water.

If not, phooey on those scuppers, close them in and make a pump well or two.

No way would I want all that saltwater in n out all the time. I have visions of tackle and gear getting wrecked early and lotsa corrosion on terminals and fastenings.

Raising the sole and scuppers some 3" is not really sensible anymore.

One pump can be setup as automatic and the other can be a backup if needed. It is always a good idea to source two pumps of the sand kind because oftentimes an impeller clog can be trouble and you can swap a pump on the same base in a couple minutes if setup right.

Those scuppers are simply too low.
A deck drain, I like that way of thinking! I wonder if I could cut a drain into the two corners of the deck at the rear bulkhead. It would need some kind of grate to prevent a tripping hazard and so I could clean, check and service the pumps. I could then wire in 2 bilge pumps to plumb the water up and though the sides. I would like Jaques input in regards to the stability of the boat if I cut into that area. I would also need to know the proper dimensions of the drain and gpm pump size. I wouldn't want to get swamped if I take a random wave over the sides. The Panga is amazingly dry if it wasn't for the current scuppers. I could then glass over the transom drains and have dry feet! I'd love to have a drawing. Anyone have input on a deck drain design?

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

They make drain plugs up to 4 inch just like the 3/4-1 inch ones a lot of boats have. With a little work you can replace what you have now with them. Run with the plugs in most of the time and pull when needed. With a small sump and bilge pump to handle small amounts of water you should stay dry. I have a couple boats set up like this and it works for me.

PangaRon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PangaRon »

Fuzz wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:56 pm They make drain plugs up to 4 inch just like the 3/4-1 inch ones a lot of boats have. With a little work you can replace what you have now with them. Run with the plugs in most of the time and pull when needed. With a small sump and bilge pump to handle small amounts of water you should stay dry. I have a couple boats set up like this and it works for me.
Thanks Fuzz! Do you happen to have a source, a link or some pics?

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

A friend on another forum is building deck drain with grate. He is scuppering after that, but a pump would work best. Show us some picture of the cockpit and aft bulkhead.

A Panga 25 is not a boat to be out under small craft advisories. And you ought to rarely take one over. Certainly nothing two pumps can't handle. 500gpm should be fine; more so if 2

The only question is automatic pumps or manual, plug the scuppers and open them on trailer or pump only and whether the drains go under or in front of the bulkhead. Holing any bulkhead should be okay at 2" or less as long as not too near the edges.

I am sure JM will voice an opinion, but I'd say build the pumpwells each side where there is enough space. Find a pump that won't be too high and/or mounts side or else it'll have to go under the bh and in the stern lockers.

For the grate, you can fab that pretty easy. Once the well size is determined, use some high density foam for a cleat. The grate can be made from the same material. You will want to glass it and then make the grates wide enough to cut out with an oscillati g tool.

You need like a half sheet of 20# foam. A full sheet if you can buy locally. The same materialcan be used for well sides. Never rots.

fallguy1000

Post by fallguy1000 »

I can take a picture of how I'd do the grate if you want.

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 »

Ron an easy way to do it would be to add vents upright directly to your bilge. Here are is one example of one https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/p ... tail/10372 You might need two to cover the area of your bilge. As for a pump do not go any smaller than a 1500gph, the smaller pumps just do not hold up.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses. LT US Navy 1970-1978

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz »

https://www.go2marine.com/Turn-Tite-3-1 ... gKgwPD_BwE

I use them in 2 inch for my Sintes. One nice thing is they fit perfect inside a 2 inch pvc coupler. Just snug them down and they hold good. You can get them in 2,3 and 4 inch. At least thats what they had at our local LFS store. Keep your deck dry and if there is any chance of taking on lots of water you can pull them.